cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnebago quality

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been off this forum for a few years since I sold my rv.My son is now looking to buy a used motorhome.He found a 2018 Winnebago he likes and asked for my opinion.I thought i had heard Winnebago was bought out and there quality had suffered.Anyone know what year they were bought out,and what there quality is like now?
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.
21 REPLIES 21

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
This is my second rig, and DW and I are really happy with the configuration and feel of it. The paint has been warranted by LCI in Forest City, and they corrected issues by taking the rig back under warranty and fixing the Diamond Shield and faded radius paint. At 8 years old, folks in camp grounds often offer to buy it. It does have a unique paint schema (gray, silver and orange) called "Hot Iron". Like all rigs, we've put a lot of time and cash into getting it to our liking, but it has been money well spent.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Sionel09
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure when they were bought out, but I've heard that their quality has suffered since then. I would recommend doing some research on https://rvspecs.org/manufacturer/winnebago/ to see if you can find any more information. Good luck!

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
In thirty yrs of rving and 4 winneabgo i would not buy another type motorhome

But it is going to depend on how the unit you are looking at was maintained

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We have recently purchased a 2022 Winnebago Vista 29. In the past we owned a Thor product and thought it was good enough. The Vista is better made. We looked at Newmar as well, nice rig, but like the overall design of the Winnebago better.

I am in the process of adding equipment to the rig and am impressed with the build quality and the electrical diagrams for the coach available on the Winnebago website.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
they are all a F53 chassis so handling you may have to check tires pressure. what was the problem did you ever drive a chassis as this before?
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
I will say a fact I own a georgetown by forest river they are crappy junk company cares less what they build. I wish I got a Winnebago they also got on line there electrical,plumping,or what ever you need.

We looked at a Georgetown with the same basic floor plan as the Winnebago that we bought. We felt like the Winnebago was better built and had better customer support. We loved our Winnebago once we got to our destination, just hated driving it.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I will say a fact I own a georgetown by forest river they are crappy junk company cares less what they build. I wish I got a Winnebago they also got on line there electrical,plumping,or what ever you need.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2013 Winnebago gasser. Was very pleased with it when parked, but I hated driving it. Tried the cheap handling fix and it helped, just didnโ€™t like the boat on the water feeling when driving it. Engine noise and road was pretty loud too. I hear the newest models with the V8 engine are quieter and handle better, so Iโ€™m sure thinking about checking them out. Iโ€™m in a Thor Class C currently, and it drives much better, but is even worse for noise.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The Winnebago/5500 Onan generator is really handy in Texas when the power goes off for three days in arctic conditions. Just make sure you top it off before the power to the gas pumps is gone.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

jy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.We are supposed to go look at it today.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You should be fine with a 2018 model. Winnebago's fit and finish has slipped in the last 2 or 3 years. I'll chalk it up to trying to get the units out the door in a hurry to meet demand.

Y-Guy
We've had our Winnie since we bought it in late 2006, I still have it because it's been a great ride and very few issues. When we were shopping the dealer PDI guy that I got to know gave me some pointers when I was comparing the Damon Daybreak vs the Winnebago Sightseer. Happy he did and happy I went with Winnebago.

One of the great things I appreciate about the Winnebago of Class A motorhomes is the online resource they've maintained. You can download the wiring and plumbing diagrams, plus you can download a non-specific owners manual for the year and model. Winnebago Owner Resources

When the time comes to buy another I will take a long hard look at Winnebago they'd be my first choice going in to the selection process, but quality changes so I'd do my own research at the time. If I was buying a used one I'd spend the money to have a professional go through the RV inspection to make sure I'm not getting somebody elses problems.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winnebago and have owned 3 prior RVs Newmar, Fleetwood (pre Bankruptcy) and a REV Products Ambassador. I feel the quality is as good or even better than any of them. The customer service has been better than any I have preveously owned.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 older Winnebago products, in my opinion their roofs are excellent quality, never had a roof leak. I can't say that about other brands I have had.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee