cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Via 2014: No indicator lights on trailer

oyly
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to connect my trailer to my new Winnebago Via 2014, but there seems to be an electric problem on the car. If I turn on the indicators, there's no blinking 0-12V between any of the pins in the socket. I've looked for a wiring diagram that explains where the socket is connected to, but haven't found this, neither in the manuals or online.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
oyly
9 REPLIES 9

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the follow-up.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

oyly
Explorer
Explorer
In case anybody was curious how the story ended, here's how: I took the RV to a repair shop, where they found out there simply wasn't enough juice fed to the relays going to the socket. Over-engineered by Mercedes in other words... So they tapped into some wires with more power and fed this into the same relays. Job done.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I just sent you a pm with some wiring info.

oyly
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! I have only LED's on the trailer. Will see if I can find an incandescent bulb to try with! 😄

And found some more fuses on the chassis, down besides the brake pedal. Two are for trailers: "Trailer power socket" and "Trailer recognition unit". Both were OK though. The description "Trailer recognition unit" suggests that there is some electronic wizardry involved, so the theory about incandescent lights seem quite plausible! Thanks, will check it out.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Did you use led lights? My Via requires incandescent bulbs.

oyly
Explorer
Explorer
OK, afaik I have fuses in three places:

1. Load center under the bed, with fuses for TV's, fridge, microwave etc. Both 110V and 12V
2. 12 V automatic circuit breakers for thins like electric step and slideout, in the outside compartment under the passenger seat.
3. Various 12V fuses under the driver's seat, that I presume are all for the chassis.

None of these fuses are blown. And can't see that any of them have anything to do with the trailer.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest a fuse too. On our F350, we shorted out a wire on a utility trailer when connected, which blew the fuse on the truck. When we connected our fifth wheel, we noticed there were no running lights, signals, etc. Since the truck was new, we went straight to the dealership, and voila! fuse! Back home and hit the road.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My toad fuses are located in one of the rear compartments.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it applies to your coach, but on my Scepter a bad running light took out the running lights fuse. After replacing light and fuse, I noticed no turn signals on the toad even though the signals on the coach worked fine. Turns out my Monaco has a fuse for each turn signal side for the toad and the bad running light took out fuse for both signals for the toad. Replace two fuses and all is well. You might check fuse block for separate toad fuses.