Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter liveingf in RV

CARBONE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
Looking at a 36' class A 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, need to live in over the winter in s.NH, can't find spec's or manual, any info would be help full
Thanks
AL
5 REPLIES 5

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi--mowermech above gave a good answer! You CAN do anything you want--it may not be easy, but you can do it! Preparation is key and an ability to adapt and problem solve is essential. We have lived in our different RVs in single digit temps many times and survived quite well. YOU CAN DO IT!
chartrue2@aol.com

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it CAN be done.
Yes, it has been done.
Yes, I have done it!
In MONTANA!
In a 32 foot Suncrest motorhome.
And, in a 32 foot triple slide Monaco McKenzie fifth wheel.
First, you should have some kind of skirting around the coach. DO NOT use hay or straw bales! They are a fire hazard, and they attract rodents. I used Reflectix insulation (aluminized bubble wrap). I also covered the grill and the windshield with it.
Second, the plastic "storm window" covers work fairly well. Also, the pillows that can be put in the roof vents are great.
Third, the water supply line must be heat taped and insulated. There is a right way and a wrong way to install heat tape. Read the instructions and be sure it is done right. I built my water line out of hard copper tubing, then installed the heat tape and wrapped it with pipe insulation. No problems to 20 below! I found no special consideration was needed for the sewer hose. The hot water running through it seemed to keep it from freezing.
Fourth, an auxiliary propane tank is a wonderful thing. In the motorhome, I bought a 100 pound cylinder, and refilled it as needed. In the fifth wheel, I leased an 80 GALLON tank, and the propane company came out and filled it as needed. That was MUCH better than rassling that big cylinder myself! The tech who brought the tank to the trailer did the hookup. That, too, was a plus!

If you will have full hookups (I would not be willing to "winter over" without them. It can be done, I simply would not be willing to do it.), a small electric heater can be very handy.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Look for things to indicate that your coach may have been made for cold climates. Do you have double pane windows? Is you wet basement compartment insulated? 50 amp service?
We spend most of our traveling time during the Winter and have never had a problem, even in below zero temps. It does take some caution and preparation to do it but we have been doing it for several years and have learned what works and what doesn't. We very seldom use our gas furnace and rely on electric heat to take care of our needs.

This is a good answer;

2gypsies wrote:
Oh Gee...this is the first 'discussion' in a long time.

Here's a great blog and they love RVing in the cold winter months. Good hints.

Gone With The Wynns Blog - Winter RVing

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for things to indicate that your coach may have been made for cold climates. Do you have double pane windows? Is you wet basement compartment insulated? 50 amp service?
We spend most of our traveling time during the Winter and have never had a problem, even in below zero temps. It does take some caution and preparation to do it but we have been doing it for several years and have learned what works and what doesn't. We very seldom use our gas furnace and rely on electric heat to take care of our needs.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest NOT living in an RV during the winter in New Hampshire. You will most likely need an RV with special "arctic insulation package" and learn various kinds of methods regarding water freezings (60 watt bulbs in the plumbing areas,electrically heated hose, for instance) and, many other things to preserve what you have not getting damaged.
If you MUST stay in N.H, I suggest you rent or lease or buy a house....or travel to Phoenix or south Florida (south of Orlando) to get into the warm tropics. Most RVs are not built to handle the extreme cold of places like New England.

G'luck!

just my 2 cents.