cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Working on the roof on a Class C

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to replace the lid which blew off the front-most vent during some truly nasty wind last weekend on my way to Albuquerque. The vent is right at the place where the overhang begins; the hinge is on the forward edge, which means I'll have to have more of my 200# out on the overhang than I'd like. I can remove what's left of the old lid simply by lying down on the vent -- I think. But that won't work with the new lid in place.

Suggestions? Am I being unduly paranoid about getting out there?

Thanks!

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10
12 REPLIES 12

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note regarding MaxxAir vent covers ... they do develop cracks around the holes for their attachment bolts. These cracks then spread to the outer edge, thereby rendering that attachment point worthless - and you can begin to hear the MaxxAir covers rattling when going down the road. You have to go up on the roof and carefully look to discover these cracks.

We're about to install our 2nd rear MaxxAir vent cover over the bathroom vent in the rear and our 3rd MaxxAir vent cover over the cabover vent in the front.

The first time I discovered these MaxxAir cracks causing a rattling noise we were on a remote stretch of highway in the Oregon Outback exploring during an RV trip. Periodically checking or replacing these covers is a perfect example of why one should never have an RV without a built-in roof access ladder, IMHO.

However, replacing MaxxAir covers periodically is far superior to replacing the vent covers themselves after they have begun allowing water into the RV's walls or interiors. Replacing MaxxAir covers is also easier than replacing the vents themselves.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Not being paranoid if you do this yourself I would recommend the plywood to lay on. While your replacing your vent cover why not put a Vent Cover on. It will protect that flimsy lid from damage and will allow you to open it even in the rain.

X2
Added a Maxx Air vent cover over the forward hatch and Maxx Air Turbo vent (w/cover), over the rear hatch (above the rear queen). The vent lids are now protected and we can have a nice flow of fresh air in/or out in any weather. One of the best mods I've ever added as we use them every day.

:C

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't even think about it when I was up on the roof scrubbing the roof and was out on the overhang I'm at 225#
Laid down and reached as far down the front end to wash the bug juice off it as well a few times too

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Not being paranoid if you do this yourself I would recommend the plywood to lay on. While your replacing your vent cover why not put a Vent Cover on. It will protect that flimsy lid from damage and will allow you to open it even in the rain.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I know for sure that my RV has a metal frame all around the cabover as I just rebuilt the whole thing, so I know where there is steel and how strong it all is.

I weigh 265 and as I sealed up the aluminum sheet roof over the cabover, I was standing and lying on the overhanging part of the cabover. Things were fine.

Jose

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, here is a link to instructions for posting a picture.

Clicky
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer

This is really about seeing if I can post an image ...

I figured it out. Dropbox to the rescue. Not exactly drag and drop but not too bad.
Ford V10

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth I way a little more than 200lbs and go up there all the time - no problem.
Kevin

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming your roof is in decent shape, I think so. I've done work on my '98 Santara up at the seam between the rubber roof and the fiberglass front, and that part of the roof seems no less sturdy than the rest. There's roof trusses going across all the way forward to that seam. (I will grant that I'm somewhat more scrawny than you, but that's also a good bit further forward on the overhang.) The cabover section can't be too lightly built since the bunk inside needs to support the weight of a person or two.

I'd be more worried about the strength of the plywood under the rubber than the basic framework, particularly if there's been any water seepage/damage, but that's true anywhere on the roof.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried about too much weight concentration, take a piece or 2 of plywood to distribute your weight. Make it as large as it would fit.

I walk on mine but I weigh 160#.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
I should have been clear. My concern is whether the overhang will handle my weight, not with falling off.
Ford V10

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
If your worried about sliding off the front tie a rope around your waste and secure it to the ladder or air conditioner. Better safe than sorry.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!