cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper or 5th wheel in the PNW

WrinkledPenny
Explorer II
Explorer II

Live in the upper Willamette Valley. Last kid graduates HS in 15 months and we’re planning on joining the road travel world using the PNW as our hub and primary adventure zone. Have only tent camped up to this point and not sure where to start in the RV world. I’m really hoping to be able to tow a boat, but don’t know if that’s realistic? Seems like a truck camper would be a better option than a motorcoach for towing/launching. Fairly certain a diesel 350 will be needed, but don’t know if a dually is mandatory unless the camper is on the heavier side. Ultimate dream is to cruise the West Coast from BC to B.C. And out to Northern ID too with a boat I can fish the saltwater with (24 - 28ft), or wakeboard Priest/Pend d’ Oreille. Is that a pipe dream? Would it be more realistic to forget about the boat and get a 5th wheel rig to have more space? We also have 2 small dogs who will be with us, so any advice/opinion on pets in truck campers versus 5th wheels would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III

We know several couples that had same issue, liked to camp and fish. Two of the couples take 2 rigs, one pulling boat, the other pulling travel trailer or 5th wheel. They both did not want to go back to pickup camper that they had when  they were younger. They both liked the space in ~30' travel trailer or 5th wheel, both liked a decent size boat. Both couples only take both rigs when camping/fishing within days drive of home. They generally only take the travel trailer when going on longer trips, although I heard one of the wives say that they should just stay in hotel and take boat so they can fish and then eat out and sleep in nice hotel...

It all comes down to personal preferences and whether both want to be driving.

LabLover99141
Explorer
Explorer

We're based in northeastern Washington, and since you want to do boating,  I'd suggest a camper or small motorhome. We have a fiver, and love not having to pack up the 'house' to go tour, but boating is different. If you were willing to take 2 vehicles, I'd say a fifth wheel. Mr 2 cents worth. 

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II

We boat... but traveling to always new areas with a boat just doesn't work for us.  Time has taught us that we prefer boating/fishing in areas we know.  I seriously don't want to learn how to fish an area every time I show up.  So, we tour without.  Fish and play in our home area.

With that, we travel extensively with our truck camper, couple months at a time usually.  But we tow a support trailer that carries Kayaks, bikes and motorcycle(s).  And lot's of water.  To each their own... I'd start camping with a rental.  Seriously.  Try a couple of things out, see what they are like, what you enjoy.  We own a 5th wheel...absolutely love it for working out of.  Wouldn't travel or camp out of it every again.  Can't stand it.  RV's; they are not all the same, and everyone is different.

Don't try and talk yourself into something.  Or let others.  Which is whey I suggest renting, even if for only a few nights.  You'll know real quick things you like and those that you can't stand.

Cheers

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

How long will you be living in the RV?

- Weekends up to a couple weeks, truck camper & boat is a good option.

- Longer term, the space limitations of a truck camper would really get to us and a 5th wheel would be preferable.

Keep in mind a 24-28ft boat is likely to be heavy (I assume you are talking about a fiberglass cuddy cabin type. Especially a bigger truck camper can run into problems with the overhang. You can buy extensions but they reduce the load carrying capability of the hitch due to the extra leverage. So while a diesel dually can support and pull the weight, will the hitch components?

If you drop back to a 15-20ft aluminum open fishing boat, things get a lot more reasonable. Also, there is the option to double tow (check the local laws...I think BC might be a problem). Alternatively, a big toy hauler may have enough garage space for a 15ft aluminum fishing boat and would avoid the double towing issue.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

I don’t know how anyone can help in making these decisions . Only you and your family can decide what are must haves and what y’all can do without.
The way I see it, if you want to tow in BC, it seems your choice is “boat” or “no boat”. If you choose boat,  than a truck camper/class C/motor home are the only realistic options. (Other options - while possible - are realistically highly convoluted.)
For myself, I wouldn’t live more than 3 days in a truck camper. The other side of that coin is, I don’t like fishing all that much either. YOMV.

My advice would be to consider a class C.