cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

baking stone

2Ambros
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know where to get a smaller baking stone that will fit a TT oven?
Just us & Molly the wonder-lab !
2014 Jayco Jay Flight Swift
2006 Ford F150 4x4
1988 Sierra Cobra, 'Griswald'

We are way too adventurous to be ordinary!
30 REPLIES 30

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmoecmoe wrote:
Hi All,

We are just looking into buying a pizza stone for the oven.

We were wondering if you leave the stone in when traveling. Should you clip it in with a metal bracket and a screw so it does not move during travel?

Thanks,

Craig

I think it's better to take that rubbery non slip shelf liner. Wrap it well and stow it in a cabinet where it won't bounce.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

cmoecmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

We are just looking into buying a pizza stone for the oven.

We were wondering if you leave the stone in when traveling. Should you clip it in with a metal bracket and a screw so it does not move during travel?

Thanks,

Craig
Craig & Annette
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2014 300x12 XLR Toy Hauler
2008 Harley Ultra Classic

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Seneca 35GS wrote:
I use a small "pizza stone" AND a inverted air bake cookie sheet in my oven. Nothing burns with my double whammie approach. I only sacrifice about 3/4" clearance.

Nice idea.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
2Ambros wrote:
Sh410 - thanks for the tip. The reason I was looking for a baking stone was to even out the heat in the oven. I am going to try using the 4 tiles on the bottom.

That should work for you but the only thing I would recommend is to take them out of the oven when traveling. I broke a tile due to bouncing while going down the road. I had an old pizza stone that I now use. Both work and are highly recommended for the purpose you seek.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We use a pizza stone, don't know the diameter, but it fits perfectly. I've used the floor tiles too and they work fine.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Pampered Chef makes a small rectangular baking stone that is awesome for RV ovens. Sorry I can't post the dimensions as it is in the RV! I would guess about 7" X 11". Perfect for a few biscuits or toast and simple clean up.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
96Bounder30E wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Yep..12" X 12" unglazed tile

Unglazed so you aren't sucking fumes when the glazing burns off

Ceramic tiles are kiln fired for 20 hours at 2500ยฐ F........Do you think the glazing is going to burn off at a 350ยฐ for 45 minutes?

BTW......Ceramic glaze is powdered silica sand......AKA....glass.....I don't think I've ever had a Pyrex glass dish burn away in my oven belching toxic fumes....

Saltillo floor tiles are not ceramic glazed. They simply have a glaze sealant painted on that has to be renewed periodically. This glazing sealant will give off fumes when heated. Our old home had saltillo floor tiles. Just an FYI.

That said, a cast iron griddle (smooth one side, ridged on other) will also achieve the even heating; will multitask as a cooking surface; and won't break. We cook on it in the morning and bake with it at night after its cleaned. With rv space at a premium, it's handy.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
UN-glazed floor tile from Lowes, Home Depot or any flooring store or Pampered Chef should still sell pizza stones. Be sure it is UN-glazed

x2, The Hardware Store.
God Bless!

2Ambros
Explorer
Explorer
Sh410 - thanks for the tip. The reason I was looking for a baking stone was to even out the heat in the oven. I am going to try using the 4 tiles on the bottom.
Just us & Molly the wonder-lab !
2014 Jayco Jay Flight Swift
2006 Ford F150 4x4
1988 Sierra Cobra, 'Griswald'

We are way too adventurous to be ordinary!

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
The idea of a pizza stone, tile or whatever is to even out the hear in the oven. The thermostat in the RV ovens very 50* on both side of the set temperature you set on the control dial.

We use 4 tile that are 6" square about 3/8" thick and place them on the top of the bottom metal plate that is suppost to act as diffuser. We are careful not to block the holes on the metal place.

Originally, we first tried a pizza stone but it broke into several pices when we were traveling, then we tried a 12" tile and it also broke in several pieces whil traveling. The 6" tiles have lasted for the past 6 years with no breakege.

We do not bake anything directly on the tiles for the style of foods we like.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
96Bounder30E wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Ceramic tiles are kiln fired for 20 hours at 2500ยฐ F........Do you think the glazing is going to burn off at a 350ยฐ for 45 minutes?

BTW......Ceramic glaze is powdered silica sand......AKA....glass.....I don't think I've ever had a Pyrex glass dish burn away in my oven belching toxic fumes....

That's true. The reason for unglazed baking stones is that theoretically they hold moisture and do a better job of browning and producing a nice crust.
I haven't been able to detect the difference in baking yeast products on the cast iron. They are now pushing baking steels which hints that any mass that is capable of holding heat and therefore stabilizing the temperature might work.
I can't comment on the stone/cookie outcome however.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine here. Any size or shape (almost)
baking stones
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
96Bounder30E wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
UN-glazed floor tile from Lowes, Home Depot or any flooring store or Pampered Chef should still sell pizza stones. Be sure it is UN-glazed

why do you say... UN-glazed?

Because glazed floor tiles tend to explode, sometimes with disasterous results. An unglazed tile is cheap easy to find and very durable.

Yup and it also doubles as a pizza stone. Of course it's less expensive as well. Should you really feel like multitasking the tile can be used under a small portable fire pit.