cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Sticks For Cooking Over Campfire?

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago a friend bought us some metal telescoping sticks for cooking over a fire. They collapsed to about 8" and extended up to about 2' and they had two prongs on the end to secure your food better. No one has seen them in years and we have no idea where they went.

I'm looking for good sticks to use now. Should I look into those cheap wooden ones that usually come in a S'mores kit? I found a pack of 100 sticks for about $30. Are the metal telescoping ones better? One prong? Two prongs?

These would basically only be used for marshmallows and hot dogs. Perhaps kebabs later on.

Any suggestions?
19 REPLIES 19

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 4 pack of 36" hot dog stakes from Wally World three ago and still are in good shape. I think we paid $6 for them.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Like this, maybe? Original Pocket Roaster 36" My supplier sent me a bunch of these and I liked them well enough to grab a couple for myself. They seem much more sturdy, and collapse to a much smaller size, than the wire forks I've been using.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
They were selling the collapsing ones at Dollar General Store in my location. I saw them two days ago.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Every year someone makes hot dog sticks from poison oak. Not pretty....
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We quit using the telescoping ones. They were just too flimsey. We use the non-telescoping, hotdog sticks you can purchase at any Wall Mart in the camping section. Much more sturdy.

You should be able to find the telescoping one at any sporting goods store, like Cabelas, Dicks, etc. I would think Wall Mart still has them, although I haven't looked to purchase any in a while.