cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bread machine

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Got a new bread machine for christmas,making a loaf every couple of days.Love home made bread,plus it is cheap to make. My favorite is sourdough. Also made a honey wheat that is pretty good.
15 REPLIES 15

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
Love bread machines...I have two. I thought my first one was dying so bought one cheap from a friend who thought it took too long to make a batch! Turns out that the paddle on the first one was just out of kilter and DH was able to fix it. When I'm on a baking binge I often use both and start them about 45 minutes apart. However I never bake the bread in the machine...I don't like the shape of the loaves and I feel like the bread gets a drier texture. Plus I am more apt to be making buns, cinnamon rolls or specialty breads. My favorite bread making accessories are my New England hot dog pan, my French bread loaf pans and my Pullman bread pan with a lid. I always use bread flour and add vital gluten when making a product which includes rye or whole wheat flour.

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
bamcote wrote:
I make a lot of bread in the wi ter. Summer, the bread machine comes with us in the MH, but I usually use it only to make pizza dough.

Got a pizzeria quality crust recipe you like?

Bread Machine Pizza Dough
1 c. plus 2 Tbls warm water
2 Tbls oil (olive or vegetable)
3 c. flour (bread flour or use regular-dough will be chewier)
1 teas. salt
1 teas. sugar
2 1/2 teas. rapid yeast
1 1/2 teas. Italian seasoning
2 Tbls Parmesan cheese
Place ingredients in bread machine pan in the order shown. Set for Dough setting (usually 1 1/2 hrs) when cycle ends, form 2 medium pizza pies and cover with your choice of toppings. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden. Makes 2 pizza pies. You can make this by hand, let it rise (about double) then form the pizza pies.
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
mitch5252 wrote:
hilldude wrote:
...plus it is cheap to make....

Several years ago, I did the math on the cost of a homemade loaf (large loaf) of bread, including the cost of electricity to bake it. (I did not consider cost of loaf pans or any other equipment) I was using my Kitchen Aid Mixer to knead the loaf.

Cost was $0.50 per loaf.
Can't beat that!

I now need to figure out how much it costs me to make 2 medium pizzas (that's 1 recipe of dough) with cheese & sausage...

I can tell you the cost of making your pizza vs. delivery/frozen will be HUGE!

For me, it is always huge in the wrong direction. Buying cheese and toppings in the stores quantities costs me a fortune. Just like the cooked chicken, I don't know how anyone beats 2 for 1 coupon pizza by cost.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I still can not fathom why it is cheaper to buy a cooked rotisserie chicken at a grocery store than to buy raw chicken. It is a great way to have a break from cooking.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
mitch5252 wrote:
hilldude wrote:

Several years ago, I did the math on the cost of a homemade loaf (large loaf) of bread, including the cost of electricity to bake it. (I did not consider cost of loaf pans or any other equipment) I was using my Kitchen Aid Mixer to knead the loaf.

Cost was $0.50 per loaf.
Can't beat that!

I now need to figure out how much it costs me to make 2 medium pizzas (that's 1 recipe of dough) with cheese & sausage...

I can tell you the cost of making your pizza vs. delivery/frozen will be HUGE!

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
hilldude wrote:

Cost was $0.50 per loaf.
Can't beat that!

2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
bamcote wrote:
I make a lot of bread in the wi ter. Summer, the bread machine comes with us in the MH, but I usually use it only to make pizza dough.

I got one for ya, but it doesn't require a bread machine: 2-ingredient pizza crust.
recipe

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
After watching some Food Network, I think it just hinges on buying a high gluten flour rather than a standard, AP flour.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
bamcote wrote:

x2

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
bamcote wrote:

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I found putting unglazed tiles in my trailers oven makes my oven cook things more even and better. Bread machines are great, except I need to replace mine I used it to much.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I love making the dough for cinnamon rolls in my bread machine. However, the oven in our rig (we're full-timers) isn't dependable enough to bake anything ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž I think of it as "enforced diet". LOL LOL
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Bread machines are a lot of fun. I used one for many years. Now, I have a sourdough starter,(Little Cesar) and I make Artisan loaves. I have one proofing right now. Starters can get lazy in cold weather-and sometimes Cesar calls the shots.
Anyhow, FYI-if you don't want to use the machine, and you don't want to bother with a starter-you just want easy, homemade bread. Here's a nice no-knead video.
No knead bread in a loaf pan

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the sourdough! We have a bread machine we use at least once a week and love it.