cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coffee Central in the Trailer

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
So after much trial and error, we have "Coffee Central" completed and functioning beautifully. I drink black coffee and I make it with coffee ground fresh as needed. I put it through a French Press. If you've not had a French Press coffee it's basically a coffee snob version of cowboy coffee. That's for me....I'm the easy one! My wife likes Soy Cappuccinos. This prove very problematic til some on on this forum recommended the ROK manual espresso maker. With the ROK Espresso maker,the ROK Grinder, along with the foamer and a kettle that has a thermometer in it. I can now make my bride her caps just about as good as a high end coffee shop.........no, I don't mean Starbucks. I did get a bunch of little tins that I can put a pre-weighed 17.4 grams of beans for grinding so I don't have to weigh beans prior to grinding. When we are group camping we are certainly considered to be the coffee loons! But hey! It works now!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
9 REPLIES 9

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I've been roasting my own for nearly 20 years. IMO once you have fresh roasted coffee (under 7 days old) you'll never go back.

I've roasted in a cast iron skillet over a campfire at times.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
French Press coffee is great. I go the other direction with the beans. I use only local roast(where ever local is at the time!)and usually light roast with a nutty flavor tones. Occasionally I will use a single serving drip like a Kalita or a V60, but usually French Press.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
We generally dry camp or boondock and after trying several methods, decided the french press works best for us. We use a high quality ultra dark roast (freshly ground) with a little half and half. YUM.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I actually came across my parents Revere Ware Stainless Steel Stove Top Percolator. It needed some love, so a little diligence with E-Bay provided the spiff-up stuff to bring it back up to snuff. I gave it to my brother who frequents the Mojave Desert and dirt biking. He likes it much better then the speckled blue enamel percolator he had been using.
V-465

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I've abdicated on the morning beverage conundrum. The man drinks decaf and I drink tea or hot water with ginger or lemon. I stumble around in the morning and place a pot of water over the fire pit and eventually open a packet of Starbuck's Via Ready Brew Decaf Italian Roast for him and steep some concoction for self.

This routine has been serving us well for the last 2-3 tenting seasons even though I still have: 2 different versions of Java Press and a Moka pot (or 2). Sold the Coleman "Mr. Coffee" type machine as it was just too bulky. All that money and time and the man likes instant best, LMAO.

I suspect that the only change in routine when we get into the RV is I'll use the on board stove to boil the water. Bet that'll be faster.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love coffee when camping. It's always fresh ground from whole beans
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Keurig, we have 2 and one of those is always in the hauler.

I want coffee fast, not pressed and dressed. 🙂
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

CallMeChris
Explorer
Explorer
My love of coffee has grown as my age goes up...I have a coffee press I use while camping but around the house I find myself using the Keurig mostly just because of the simplicity of getting a quick cup...here lately I've started using a Columbian Expresso and a Bialetti expresso maker. It's not something to drink in quantities while just sitting around but for an amazing tasting pick me up this can not be beat!