cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite soup recipes

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago we had a posting asking for favorite soup recipes. We have many new members so asking again. As fall approaches one of my favorite foods for camping is soup. Can you please post your favorite soup recipe - meat or meatless.
22 REPLIES 22

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
We enjoy watching Tim Farmers Country Kitchen on YouTube. It's syndicated on tv in Kentucky, but we are not there...lol

In the latest episode they made Butternut Squash Soup. Looks really good. They also made "Vinegar Pie" which I never heard of, but looked as well. They also smoked some cheese. Go check them out.

Never seen or heard of the show before so first let me thank you for the head's up. Rendering lard is something I'll be watching again soonest and the vinegar pie sounds like a something I'd love to taste:).
On my end we make butternut soup and in fact it's served almost every Thanksgiving. Here's my lower fat version:

Butternut Ginger SoupButternut Ginger Soup

I rarely add the sugar since I tend to add an apple or pear to the recipe.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy watching Tim Farmers Country Kitchen on YouTube. It's syndicated on tv in Kentucky, but we are not there...lol

In the latest episode they made Butternut Squash Soup. Looks really good. They also made "Vinegar Pie" which I never heard of, but looked as well. They also smoked some cheese. Go check them out.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
I love soup season! During the fall and winter I make a big batch of soup every Sunday. Here are a couple of my favorites --

EASY BEAN & BACON SOUP

8 oz. apple smoked bacon, diced
1 cup diced yellow onions
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
3 cans (15 oz each) Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

Cook the bacon in a soup pot or Dutch oven until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.

To the hot bacon grease, add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook over medium heat until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Stir in the chicken broth and beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble then reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 1 hour.

Remove half of the soup to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Stir back into the remaining soup. Add tomato sauce and bacon and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let simmer until it is heated through, about 5 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TOMATO SOUP WITH ORZO & SPINACH

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/4 cup carrots, sliced into ยฝ inch rounds
1 cup celery, sliced
6 cloves of roasted garlic (from a jar or roast your own)
6 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons pesto
1 1/2 cups orzo (whole wheat or regular)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon oregano
3 cups baby spinach, packed
salt and black pepper, to taste

Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sautรฉ 4-5 minutes until softened. Add carrots, celery, and roasted garlic and sautรฉ for 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, pesto, orzo, thyme, Italian seasoning, and oregano, stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium and let the orzo pasta cook to al dente, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add baby spinach and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes or until the spinach gets nice and bright green and wilts down. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP

1 pound sweet turkey Italian sausage
1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
5 cups beef broth
1/2 cups red wine
1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup carrots, sliced
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
8 ounces refrigerated Tortellini

Heat dutch oven over medium heat. Remove casings from the sausage and brown in dutch oven with onion and garlic, breaking up sausage as you cook it. When no longer pink, drain excess grease. Add the broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil and oregano. Increase heat to high until the mixture boils and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes. Add tortellini. Cook until the tortellini is done according it's package instructions.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
I learned this the hard way. Sure, I'm German, but the sauerkraut smell needs to stay outside!

Sauerkraut Soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2-1/2C water
4C chicken broth
1 can sauerkraut, rinsed
1 onion, diced
2C carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, diced
1 ring smoked sausage, sliced
1 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. minced garlic

Slow cook 8 hours on low. Mash 1/2C potatoes when done. Return to soup. Salt & pepper to taste.

LOL! Thanks for the sensorama laugh:D.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I make "Portuguese Bean Soup" which is made like Ham/Bean Soup except instead of ham, use 1 or 2 rings of smoked sausage. When I make it, I think of our trip to Alaska because it was on the menu in a little roadside cafรฉ up there.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I learned this the hard way. Sure, I'm German, but the sauerkraut smell needs to stay outside!

Sauerkraut Soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2-1/2C water
4C chicken broth
1 can sauerkraut, rinsed
1 onion, diced
2C carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, diced
1 ring smoked sausage, sliced
1 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. minced garlic

Slow cook 8 hours on low. Mash 1/2C potatoes when done. Return to soup. Salt & pepper to taste.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pepperoni Soup is a family favorite and a nice alternative to chili:

1 lb. ground hot sausage
Salt & pepper
2 ribs celery
3C Spicy V8
1 green pepper
ยฝ tsp. oregano
1 med. onion
2 Tbsp. basil
ยฝC mushrooms
1 Tbsp. parsley
1 can Italian style zucchini
ยฝC parmesan cheese
1 pkg. pepperoni
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 lg. can Italian style stewed tomatoes
Tobasco sauce to taste
ยผC brown sugar
Garlic salt to taste
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Chop veggies chunky. Brown ground sausage with onion, green pepper and celery. Halve or quarter pepperoni. Combine all ingredients. Add water if necessary. Simmer one hour.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reader1 wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite potato corn chowder or soup without cheese that they can share?

I have this one:

Corn Chowder

Saute in olive oil:

โ€ข 1 small onion, chopped
โ€ข 1 stalk celery, chopped
โ€ข 1 clove garlic, minced
โ€ข 1 carrot, chopped

Add:

โ€ข ยฝ cup diced bacon
โ€ข 1 pound pork sausage or cooked cubed chicken breast
โ€ข 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
โ€ข 1 can cream-style corn
โ€ข 1 can whole kernel corn or tex mex corn, drained
โ€ข 1 cup half-and-half
โ€ข 2 cups milk
โ€ข 1 teaspoon dried oregano
โ€ข 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
โ€ข salt and pepper to taste
โ€ข 1 cup chicken broth
โ€ข 2 teaspoons chopped green chili pepper

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Reader1 wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite potato corn chowder or soup without cheese that they can share?

This one never fails on my end and you can substitute and add with abandon:

Corn and Potatoes Chowder
Particularly nice to use up Thanksgiving leftovers with the addition of turkey.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Another current favorite on this end:

Green Minestrone Soup

Certainly as written a warm season vegetable soup yet easy enough to substitute root vegetables and add meat.

Here is my Easter version:

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Another quick and delicious winter day soup that I like to make while traveling is Chili Beef Soup
1 pound of ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups of beef broth
1 can tomato puree
1 Tablesp chili power, 1/2 teasp of cumin and oregano
2 cans of kidney beans
1 can of whole corn
Shredded cheddar cheese

Serve with cornbread.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite Veggie soup can be adapted to be Chicken or Beef or whatever your in the mode for.
1 or 2 boxes of broth, Veggie for Veggie soup, Beef for Beef etc
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 cans of beans
2-1 pound bags of mixed veggies
4 cloves of smashed garlic, or minced if you want to take the time
1 teaspoon basil, 1/2 teas of oregano and thyme
Shake of tobasco, salt and pepper to taste,
Optional:
Cut up beef or chicken
1/2 cup of pasta
2 cups of diced potatoes
Frozen corn,
1/2 of grain or rice.

Open, dump, cook and enjoy. Easy peasy

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Like, hokeypokey, I make my own stocks and broths. Wonderful use for a new on this end part called chicken quarters. It consists of a leg thigh and part of the rib cage. I separate the leg and thigh for later use and the rib cage, bony end of drumstick is cut off and used as a stock base when enough is acquired. I add a carrot or two, celery stalk, maybe a leek or just onions and wind up with a stock/broth that rivals anything Swanson or College Inn sells. Cool and freeze in bags or containers and I'm ready for the next step later on or right then.

A current favorite is:

Vegetarian Bean Stew
Makes a nice base recipe that can have meat added to it if wanted, substitute chicken broth over veggie,and switch to kidney or Northern beans if easier to find. I used 5 cups of broth instead of the recommended 4 to make the final product more soupy.