Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite Pie Iron Sandwich Variation

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
I'm new here, so if this topic has been done to death, please forgive and/or ignore me. I was looking at the posts in this forum and there was a thread asking for people's favourite hand held meal. Since this whole site is all about camping and the great outdoors, I was surprised to see that none of the responses included what we like to call "Bush Pies" or hobo pies, or pudgies etc. etc. you know what I mean, with the cast iron device that you put a piece of buttered bread, then your filling, then another piece of bread, close it up and put the whole thing in the fire.
Anyway, there's so many different variations and for us, it's a part of camping and campfire cooking.
I think my favourite would be the breakfast bush pie. Scrambled egg, chopped up ham or bacon, some diced green or red pepper, maybe a little onion. YummO.
Anyone else have a favourite way to do these?
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS
14 REPLIES 14

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
try this sounds gross but taste amazing... hard salami and strawberry jelly between bread of your choice. some people we met were making these at first reluctant to try but WOW
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just made the rubens for dinner tonight. Awesome!!!! Then did desert, couldn't find any sugar free lemon pudding. (On a diet) So I used banana pudding, marshmellow and whole wheat bread. I know kinda broke the diet but man was it good!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

rvdudes2
Explorer
Explorer
Just use 2 triangles of crescent dough as the base in a buttered pie iron.....put approx. 1-2 tbsp. of lemon pudding/pie filling/curd on top.....add a large marshmallow......add another 2 triangles of crescent dough over the lemon and marshmallow....cover with the buttered top of the pie iron and cook in the fire until browned.
2005 Ford F350 Dually, Crew Cab
2009 Fleetwood Terry
2 Parents, 2 Boys, 2 Dogs, and 1 noisy bird

rvdudes2
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I've done a couple of different things for lemon.....in a pinch I bought ready made lemon pudding. I've also made my own lemon curd....which is way better than anything else.
2009 Fleetwood Terry

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvdudes2 wrote:
I love one variation that I found described on here a few years ago.......crescent dough, lemon pudding, and a marshmallow. Tastes like lemon meringue pie!!! Yum....

Please describe in more detail please. I read this to my wife and now I am getting the look!!!! I may be in trouble. LOL
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
rvdudes2 wrote:
I love one variation that I found described on here a few years ago.......crescent dough, lemon pudding, and a marshmallow. Tastes like lemon meringue pie!!! Yum....

Warm pudding? Not instant?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rvdudes2
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Fleetwood Terry

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Egg Muffin
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I make a dessert style toasted sandwich using cinnamon raisin bread, jam, sliced bananas, and sliced marshmallows. You can also put chocolate or Nutella in it. Always a hit. Top secret though, so don't tell anyone 😉
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I like to make Reubens.....corned beef, swiss cheese, saurkraut and thousand island dressing on marble rye.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Anchovies, Braunschweiger and Limburger cheese.

Yum! and healthy also.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
For cheese lovers, grilled cheese with fried mozzarella sticks.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I like the pizza ones we do. every year our camping club does a pie iron party, everyone brings a different topping or two. we cut the creations into 4 pieces and share. we get everything from taco's to desserts, and they are all good. enjoy.

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy savory and sweet pies. I've used breads, pie crust, rolls, crescent dough,tortilla's etc experimenting.Also use irons to bake small cinnamon rolls.
Pie irons make terrific Reuben Sandwiches -my fav.
Chicken Pot Pies, quesadilla's, Apple or cherry pie...
happynow

Steve and Carol