cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Groceries for needy family

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
I have a co-worker who is in terrible need of assistance. She has told a few of us, in confidence, that she has $5 in her checking account and no food in her house. Another co-worker brought her a deer tenderloin and some ground deer, so she is taken care of for a minute. I want to go do a quick grocery shop for her, but I can't overdo it. Here is the list I've prepared, can you all think of anything else that I can buy in bulk that would get her family's belly full that has good shelf life and isn't too expensive?

10 lbs Potatoes
3 bags Cereal - I know they eat a lot of cereal
1 gal Milk
Hamburger Meat - Pick 5 for $19.99 at our local store
1 case Ramen Noodles
5 lbs Sugar
Tea bags
Eggs
Milk
Bread

What should I add?
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy
61 REPLIES 61

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
Think of simple things to fix. Anything that takes time to cook will go to waste. Fresh foods will spoil before they get eaten. I have gone to buy groceries for many of my hospice patients and if a family member does not have the cooking skills it will be wasted. I found that box meals, cans of soup, instant rice work out the best and can vegetables/fruits. Check with local churches too! In our town we have Helping Hands that provide boxes of food. Maybe someone in the office can fix one extra meal for the family.

Sharon

Sharon

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Gravy thick soup and rice. Put a large plat of rice down then soup over it.

HeeHawHoney wrote:
I have a co-worker who is in terrible need of assistance. She has told a few of us, in confidence, that she has $5 in her checking account and no food in her house. Another co-worker brought her a deer tenderloin and some ground deer, so she is taken care of for a minute. I want to go do a quick grocery shop for her, but I can't overdo it. Here is the list I've prepared, can you all think of anything else that I can buy in bulk that would get her family's belly full that has good shelf life and isn't too expensive?

10 lbs Potatoes
3 bags Cereal - I know they eat a lot of cereal
1 gal Milk
Hamburger Meat - Pick 5 for $19.99 at our local store
1 case Ramen Noodles
5 lbs Sugar
Tea bags
Eggs
Milk
Bread

What should I add?

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
rolling_rhoda wrote:
Yes, the difference in cost is big! I'm grateful every day that I know how to cook. ๐Ÿ™‚

Amen SD Sister! Not to mention that things made from scratch usually taste better! But since rolling pins and I do not mix I have to admit I have to resort to ready made pie crusts...or go pieless!

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the difference in cost is big! I'm grateful every day that I know how to cook. ๐Ÿ™‚

May the kindness you've given come back to you!

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
rolling_rhoda wrote:
Just another suggestion from our local food pantry. A lot of women, men, and kids don't have from-scratch cooking skills. All items are appreciated, yet they have a high demand for heat and eat foods or mixes/boxes that even an older child can make if needed.
The food bank asks for jarred and canned sauces, boxed "complete meals", canned fruit and veg, chili, stew, and boxed sides like seasoned rice pouches, seasoned potatoes, etc. They have also asked for something other than plain cereal, because so many families only have water to put on it. They say if it has sugar or raisins to sweet granola nuggets, it has some flavor and kids will eat it. Children have to be darn hungry to swallow plain oatmeal day after day, according to my Dad who was a poor farm kid in the Dust Bowl.

You know, Rhonda, I really didn't get a lot of that kind of stuff. With the exception of the cereal, which I know they do a lot and at all hours of the day, I got almost no convenience food. Everything I got she would kind of have to plan ahead. It just seems like those things are kind of pricey, and you can't stretch a dollar as far. Fortunately, I know the lady I was buying for does know how to cook from scratch, but if anyone decided to do this for someone they weren't sure about, it would be good to remember.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

She will need baking powder if she is going to make biscuits. An alternative would be the "house brand" of bisquick which can be used for pancakes and the like.

Very good idea; bisquick has a lot of uses. This thread brings back old (bad) memories of my childhood. Do the best you can and bless you.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Just another suggestion from our local food pantry. A lot of women, men, and kids don't have from-scratch cooking skills. All items are appreciated, yet they have a high demand for heat and eat foods or mixes/boxes that even an older child can make if needed.
The food bank asks for jarred and canned sauces, boxed "complete meals", canned fruit and veg, chili, stew, and boxed sides like seasoned rice pouches, seasoned potatoes, etc. They have also asked for something other than plain cereal, because so many families only have water to put on it. They say if it has sugar or raisins to sweet granola nuggets, it has some flavor and kids will eat it. Children have to be darn hungry to swallow plain oatmeal day after day, according to my Dad who was a poor farm kid in the Dust Bowl.

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
So wonderful of you and your family.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, should have read the rest of the thread.

You gave her the groceries in the best way possible.
Blessings upon you... and her.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Have it ready for her when she shows up for work dont let her know who was involved she will accept it better and you know what you did is all that matters

Oh Lordy, NO.
Leave it on her doorstep, meet her in the parking area. Do it in a way that is in no way public.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
HeeHawHoney....You did more for her than you and she may realize yet.

Quick story....Hubby and I were having tough times like this lady. My friend came to me one day. As she squeezed my hand she put something in it. I looked at her and she said, take somebody else's hand one day. After she left I looked in my hand and there was a thousand dollars. I knew she didn't have extra cash and found out later she had cashed in some retirement funds. All she wanted in return was to take someone else's hand when needed. That hand squeeze is continuing it's journey I hope.

Oh, Loulou, that is so touching. God bless her and you as well.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
HeeHawHoney....You did more for her than you and she may realize yet.

Quick story....Hubby and I were having tough times like this lady. My friend came to me one day. As she squeezed my hand she put something in it. I looked at her and she said, take somebody else's hand one day. After she left I looked in my hand and there was a thousand dollars. I knew she didn't have extra cash and found out later she had cashed in some retirement funds. All she wanted in return was to take someone else's hand when needed. That hand squeeze is continuing it's journey I hope.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, Roy&Lynne. I wish I could have bought some healthier things, but fresh fruit and veggies are terribly expensive in the grocery store, and knowing this lady and her family, they might let them go to waste. That's why I was looking for things that would be inexpensive, filling, and would last a while if they didn't use it all up right away.

I also want to thank you all for all the kind words, but I am nothing special. If it had been all up to me, I would've come back with half the groceries and most of it would've been wasted. You all had the great ideas.

I just wish that everyone of us, all around the world, could find it in our hearts to love our neighbor like we should. If we could just do that, imagine what a different world it would be and how much better it would be.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
You need some fresh fruit and veggies, a bag of oranges or apples, a bag of onions, a bag of carrots, a cabbage, raisins, health food.

Its so sad, half my neighbors are in that situation.