cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Smokers! (meat, that is)

dedmiston
How many of you bring a portable smoker with you to camp?

What's your go-to smoker and what do you love to cook at camp?

I've had a Traeger for a few years and it's been a little bulky. My wife gave it to me for Christmas years ago specifically to take with us camping, but it's pretty hard to load into the trailer. I use the heck out of it at home, but slowly stopped bringing it with us to camp.

This summer my mom gave me a Barbecues Galore gift card for my birthday, so I went shopping and found the Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill. Even though it's 80 pounds dry (no pellets), it's still light enough that I can get it in and out of the RV without too much trouble.

I love to cook in camp. This grill is good for smoking cowboy beans, chickens, roasts, ribs... You name it.

So what's your camp smoker and what do you like to cook at camp?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
26 REPLIES 26

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep my smokers at home but I carry along an A-maze-n smoking tube and a bag of pellets. Takes up almost no room and insignificant weight. I have a Aussie electric grill that we carry along ( we are an all electric coach) and pop the smoke tube in the grill and close the top.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Good price on the refurbished Masterbuilt portable

Portable Masterbuilt
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Masterbuilt electric smoker that is about 15 years old and it works great. We carry it in the shower it's the size of a dorm size refrigerator.

They now make one the size of a counter top ice maker. We have one but haven't tried it yet.

Here's the website: https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Green Mountain Davey Crockett here. Easy to use and clean up.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Fish, beans, mac & cheese, ham, chicken, ribs, twice baked potatoes, shepherds pie, meat loaf, pastrami and chili.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Well, to answer the question, I try to keep it simple. Of course ribs, a pork loin, some nice shrimp quick and easy. I don't carry a smoker, being retired I do all of mine at home and warm up at camp.
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Another smoking fan here. Considering this one small smoker
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Traeger Tailgater. It goes in the bed of the truck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
Green Mountain Davey Crockett for me. Unless it has gained weight, was listed at 64 pounds dry weight.
Absolutely X2!

Plus for me - I have a storage locker slide out - and on the storage locker slide out I added a Davey Crockett slide out. And I have a DC extension cord if I choose to move it further away which also accommodates LED floods. And it's the same level as my wagon. And then in the back yard I slide it off the wagon deploying the legs. And if I choose I can use the same LEDs. Did I mention the Davey Crockett is a 12V unit? With basically a 120V AC to 12V DC converter.

Guess I like it and we're not even discussing if it can actually smoke anything. :@

Yes it can. :B

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dedmiston
Super_Dave wrote:
Green Mountain Davey Crockett for me. Unless it has gained weight, was listed at 64 pounds dry weight.

I looked again tonight and the listed weight was 68#. Seems kind like the sticker for my RV that was reissued a few times or my own physical weight. The last one I found tonight was 68, which is better than 89, but the pellets and all the parts do seem to add up.

Anyway, what do you like to cook?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eighty pounds and you can move it easily? Not me, baby! I’ll come over to eat however.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad