cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Induction cooking system

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW just heard about the induction cooking method and is all eager for one of these. We camp out of a B and space is limited. We did away with the sink, fridge and stove for the sake of storage when ordering our van. Which is pretty much full. My questions is, how many accessories, tools, whatever are needed to go with this new cooking system? Now I have to carry a duplicate set of pots, pans, utensils and what other stuff to accommodate this "easier way" of cooking? Can these "special" pots be used on a regular fire?
I like to cook over the open fire with a grill, and the BEST there is, http://www.uniquecookingsystem.com/. A little foil, adult beverage and we're good.
So do I need more room to haul extra cooking utensils or am I good to just say "Yes Dear."?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
13 REPLIES 13

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
FYI and I don't know if it prevails, but we didn't buy a set for ours. We use a lot of cast iron and that took care of a big part of our needs. We did buy one sauce pan after finding several other pots that were usable. The one common denominator among these pots were that they were all hirer end units. None of are cheaper mid level units in terms of cost qualified.
In my opinion despite some of the nice features of the cooktops, I wouldn't get into one if I had to buy all new utensils. They don't have that many advantages.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
FYI and I don't know if it prevails, but we didn't buy a set for ours. We use a lot of cast iron and that took care of a big part of our needs. We did buy one sauce pan after finding several other pots that were usable. The one common denominator among these pots were that they were all hirer end units. None of are cheaper mid level units in terms of cost qualified.

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got my NuWave induction system on line. It came with two Nuwave induction systems, two fry pans and some other pans. Induction cook tops work with any pan you can you can stick a magnet to. So, they will NOT work with aluminum pans or some stainless pans. The cook top gets hot from the pan so will not smoke or catch fire when grease touches it. Nice for an RV. I keep my second NeWave in my TT and cook on the picnic table with it (need a bigger kitchen in my TT). So, cast iron pans work awesome on an induction cook top.

I just got a pressure cooker that works great on my NuWave cook top.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gau 8 wrote:
Roadpilot wrote:
Only magnetic pans are needed, no other special tools or accessories.

They are not magnetic pots. They have to be steel or cast iron. A magnet must stick to them.

x2 on this.
All you need is pots and pans with steel or iron in them.
I've never heard of a magnetic pot:)

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I love my NuWave 2 induction system. I use cast iron on it also. The only thing, (and everyone might say a collective, 'Duh')is that you have to have electricity. I always have a backup Coleman/fuel,(and a charcoal setup if time allows) just in case.

Rhyph
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote here for full induction. Faster to react and heat than gas in a home setting for sure. Some portables and smaller 2-burner units I've seen going in to RV's are still fast, but not as fast as the one in the house. We have a full induction range in home and anything we buy (home or RV) will have it in there going forward.
2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420
2014 Ram 3500 CC DRW 4x4 Longhorn

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
I am totally hooked on induction both for the house and TT. I found mine, both ' nuwave' at goodwill on line way cheaper. I will be looking for two more.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:

They are not magnetic pots. They have to be steel or cast iron. A magnet must stick to them.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
If you're using cast iron on the fire you are good to go. There's nothing that works better on the induction unit.The unit shines doing things like boiling and simmering. It's a little more tricky to get used to frying. I find frying does better in the 200-300 range rather than higher settings you would think.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

whistlebritches
Explorer
Explorer
We too have an induction burner and just love it. Hardly ever use my electric stove burners anymore. I take it in the rv when we travel. Thinking about getting a second one for the rv. I use stainless steel and you can use castiron on it as well. They are coming out with more pans that can be used on these burners.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your cast iron stuff works great. I only bought a big frying pan and a stock pot.
I love my induction cook top. You can set it on a temp, like 170 for simmering.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
You can use the induction cookware on any heating system. The induction system only needs pots and pans that are magnetic, that is, a magnet would stick to the bottom of the pot/pan. We have two induction burners and never use the electric burners anymore. The induction burners don't really get too hot to the touch and if anything boils over it doesn't stick on the burner. Just clean them off when done with them and put them away.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.