cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick meal ideas for late night arrival?

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
I love cooking and take advantage of time in the RV with friends and family to make somewhat elaborate meals. But when we somewhere arrive Friday evening after work (sometimes around 8 PM if we had to work late and/or are going to a park a few hours away), I want something FAST!!! This recipe for sausage and potatoes has been great lately, but I'd love other ideas too. What do you make when you arrive somewhere late?
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion
54 REPLIES 54

sfd4sew
Explorer
Explorer
We usually go with hot dogs and burgers on the grill with some pre-homemade mac salad. On this last trip my wife picked up some tombstone pizzas on sale and threw them in the freezer before we left. After we set up camp we were both sitting enjoying a cold one and decided that neither of us felt like lighting the grill so the pizzas worked out nice. We can only fit one at a time in the oven but when they only take 7 minutes, the first one barely cooled before the second was done. Worked out well for us and cleanup was minimal. We had more time to sit and enjoy a cold one
2014 starcraft AR-One 28FBS
2010 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Super easy and quick - Create a hand made
patty of burger, brown it up, and throw a can of Chili over the top. - Grated cheese is optional, but pre chopped onion isn't. Add 1 or 2 Pepsid Complete tabs, and you've filled up and ready for bed.
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
A quick note of thanks as I sit down to plan 10 days of meals since we'll be in a relatively remote area with no car (we have a class c and bikes).
My contribution: precooked taco meat makes for quick nachos with toppings. I also often precook pasta so I just need to warm up frozen meatballs and sauce, plus rolls and a salad. Grilled cheese and soup is always popular.
Sometimes, I just make frozen pizzas in the microwave (but like I said, we have an RV).
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

wif
Explorer
Explorer
BBQ'd burgers or dogs washed down with a couple rums or beers, then out to see who we can visit!
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
I almost forgot my absolute favorite. French Baguette, an array of cheeses, pate, fruit (sliced apples, grapes) and a bottle of wine. No cooking, just a bit of slicing and pulling the cork out.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

Silver_Knight
Explorer
Explorer
Frito pie is always a crowd pleaser and super quick with home-made chili that is made ahead of time.
Lee & Ren
Bryce: 2000
Dillon: 2001
Bailey: 2004
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2008 Honda Odyssey Toad
2006 F250, Super Crew, 4X4, Bulletproof 6.0 Liter PSD <--Google It!
2012 Lance 825

BigBlockFord
Explorer
Explorer
Stew or chili with rolls in the fall & winter; marinated flank steak sliced up for sammiches or burritos in the spring and summer. Both can be made at home, then chucked in Tupperware for the drive. Normally fire up the stove set to low immediately upon getting parked. This lets the dinner start to get warm when I'm outside with the dogs/family... Doing the final leveling, deploying camp chairs, setting up the BBQ etc...
1995 F350, 4x4, CC, 460, E4OD w/ Banks PowerPak & TransCommand, factory LS & F/R sway bars, 08+SD finned DC, 9000XL's, airbags
2011 AF990, 2-GRP 27's, 320W Solar, SS-Duo

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
A bagged Caesar salad and Boneless pork loin chops or chicken or shrimp cooked in the electric skillet or on the grill.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Even if we don't arrive late our traditional 1st night dinner is hot dogs roasted over the campfire.

And before the flame wars start... It's not a "smokey fire". :B

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
RayUSMC wrote:
Beer and a chili burger.

Where can I meet you?

hapiour
Explorer
Explorer
I usually make homemade chicken salad and pimento cheese for sandwiches. I keep hotdogs and homemade chili from the freezer handy for chili dogs. My DD is Gluten intolerant so we have to be careful eating out. Most fast food places do not offer GF. HAPPY CAMPING!!
Just the 2 of us!
Looking for something new ??
2014 Keystone Outback Terrain 273TRL (sold)
2013 Nissan Armada SL
2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y (Traded but loved for 7 years!)
2004 Ford Expedition XL (Traded but loved for 8 years!)
Ready to hit the road!!

MillicentLake
Explorer
Explorer
I seek out the microwavable "single serve" tubs of Hormel Chili (no beans) -- of all places Kmart often has them. They're actually more than one serving unless you are starved and go well with hot dogs or just alone with a few crackers. I like the micro tubs becuase they can just be rinsed out and recycled; no dirty pan to wash.

Another alternative would be to get some good sliced roast beef, ham and/or turkey from a deli en route, crusty bread, butter, mustard and mayo and let everyone make his/her own sandwich. A jar of pickles, a few olives, baby carrots and chips -- easy and filling. Heat up vegetable beef or tomato soup and drink from mugs -- or French Onion soup for dunking the beef sandwiches.

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
Since it's a late arrival and we ALWAYS have a fire, the first night is the best night to have hot dogs cooked on our long forks over that open fire. Some type of chip to go with it and we're happy.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10’s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
MillicentLake wrote:
Does it have to be a hot meal? Otherwise just take some deli items & cut-up veggies to make sandwiches, a chef's salad or a snack plate when you get there.

Could you make rigatoni with pasta sauce at home, put in a large plastic bag and heat with a loaf of garlic bread? Or pre-cook baked potatoes in your oven and micro upon arrival, with sour cream, bacon crumbles and butter? How about a sliced ham, with a pre-cooked container of au gratin potatoes?

Take pre-cooked bacon (cook it yourself at home, in the oven, rather than the tasteless cooked packaged stuff) or ham and whip up scrambled eggs upon arrival, with toast?

I like the pasta Ina bag thing. I am a pasta lover!!!!