Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low-carb ideas?

MillicentLake
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

trying to wean myself off of favorite items like baked potatoes, Coke, corn, snack chips etc.

Two weeks in -- most lunches are salads, most dinners about 3-4 ounces lean meat and a vegetable such as wax beans. Snacks are dill pickles, dry popcorn (I know it's a carb but better than potato chips), olives, almonds, and some cheddar cheese. Probably more cheese than I should.

I'm not fanatical, just trying to remove sugar & starch from my diet to see how I feel. Does anyone else have ideas for low-carb finger foods, snacks, and light meals? How bad is a turkey sandwich on light bread with mustard; I miss turkey but can't envision eating it plain.

Is it worth it? I do feel lighter in the midsection and am starting to feel a relative indifference to food. Not that I'm not hungry, but since I can't have what I want, I just "eat to live."
30 REPLIES 30

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
One way to control intake when dining out, either at a restaurant or a buffet, is to record your intake in 1/2 cup units. Then, log into
www.myfitnesspal.com and look at your results.

I have lost 55 lbs. since last December and was wondering why I couldn't break the 250 .lb plateau -- so, I used MFP to graph my last 90-day calorie intake. That graph showed that I "cheated" eleven of the last 37 days. I am now paying more attention to the MFP numbers!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
The longer you stick to a grain and sugar free diet, eating only whole foods from nature as in Paleo, the more you will be satisfied with smaller amounts. It happens naturally.
\
I couldn't disagree more. When you cut entire food groups from your diet, you eventually crave them. You feel deprived. And its hard to deal with eating in a restaurant. Carbs are cheap for a restaurant. As I said, if you simply stop eating whatever you're eating when you are no longer hungry, instead of stopping when you're full, you will lose weight.

That doesn't work for me. Cutting out the grains, which create sugars in your system, and refined sugars, eventually eliminates the cravings. I supplement by making grain and sugar free baked goods - coconut or almond flour and using honey. There are lots of great recipes online for chocolate cake, cookies, lemon bars, banana cream cake, you name it, and it's satisfying. I've lost quite a bit of weight this way.

I think the truest answer is to know how YOU eat. There are sooooooo many different food ideas out there. Pick the one that makes the most sense to you and as they say: Just do it.

Exactly. A friend eats grains and sugars but watches calories and that works for her, but if I do the same, I maintain or gain.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
The longer you stick to a grain and sugar free diet, eating only whole foods from nature as in Paleo, the more you will be satisfied with smaller amounts. It happens naturally.
\
I couldn't disagree more. When you cut entire food groups from your diet, you eventually crave them. You feel deprived. And its hard to deal with eating in a restaurant. Carbs are cheap for a restaurant. As I said, if you simply stop eating whatever you're eating when you are no longer hungry, instead of stopping when you're full, you will lose weight.

That doesn't work for me. Cutting out the grains, which create sugars in your system, and refined sugars, eventually eliminates the cravings. I supplement by making grain and sugar free baked goods - coconut or almond flour and using honey. There are lots of great recipes online for chocolate cake, cookies, lemon bars, banana cream cake, you name it, and it's satisfying. I've lost quite a bit of weight this way.

I think the truest answer is to know how YOU eat. There are sooooooo many different food ideas out there. Pick the one that makes the most sense to you and as they say: Just do it.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
\

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
\
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

MillicentLake
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting, Jim.

I'm not terribly overweight but could definitely drop a dress size or even two. Lately have been trying to adhere to simple rules like eating only at table, not lounging in front of TV. Using smaller size plates and dishes really does work. Savoring a few bites and then asking myself if I really need the rest, as you have, seems to be key.

It's usually the first sip of Coke, the first bite of baked potato etc. that taste the best. Polishing off the entire thing just as a matter of routine must lead to hundreds of thousands of unwanted calories a year.

Thanks!

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe, you are on the right path. I too, eat until I am not hungry but not full and I think that is the real key. Of course there are some things you should avoid like too much bacon grease. 🙂
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a member of the National Fat Man's Society all my life. I've tried every diet that exists. All of them rely on eliminating certain foods or whole food groups from your diet. Either carbs or fats or both. They're impossible to follow in a restaurant, and nearly impossible at home. And you eventually feel "deprived".
Over the past six months, I've lost 50 pounds from a beginning weight of 325. I'm running out of holes in my belt. How? Nothing is a no-no. But I no longer cook a meal with meat, potatoes and veggies, and then eat it because I cooked it.
The other day, I made a roast beef and cheese sandwich for lunch. After the first half, I wasn't full. But I was no longer hungry, either. Wrapped up the other half and ate almost all of it for dinner. Tossed the rest. I've discovered the secret for me. I simply quit eating when I'm no longer hungry instead of when the plate is empty.
Same type of thing in restaurants. If I order a burger, I remove the bun. If the entrée comes with 3 side dishes, I order just one. They don't mind at all. And I never did like sweet stuff, so desert is no problem.
I still don't exercise, unless you count jumping to conclusions. But I'm no longer winded walking 30 feet to the mailbox.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Having been "surprised" by gi issues a year ago (and still not 100% back to normal), I am now gluten free and have a variety of other newfound food intolerances (where did this all come from?).

Being forced to try various elimination diets, I found that when I eat really healthy (veggies, fruits, some grains and no processed foods or refined sugars, or meat), the cravings for chocolate went away and for any sweets. My body had what it needed and didn't go hunting for something to satisfy it. The weight dropped and just fell off me...much to my surprise.

Sweet potatoes are less carbs than whites and very satisfying. It is also what you put on them...stay away from butter, marg, etc. I use
coconut oil (a tiny bit to sautee them in).

donna

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the turkey into strips and dip into catsup. No bread. The only time I eat catsup.

MillicentLake
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone; just got back from a vacation and really appreciate all of the suggestions!

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Other suggestions:
Pork rinds for snacks or use in meatloaf instead of bread crumbs.
Also good to use as coating on chicken or pork chops.

I use Flaxseed Meal a lot to substitute for meal or flower.

Here's another goody.
crispy baked okra
Just make sure to use fresh dry okra. I tried to use frozen and it didn't work:D!

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great substitute for rice dishes also.Cauliflower Rice