cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old DO trick

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
A new person at the Dutch Oven group talked about the soot on the outside of the pot that bothers them when they cook on a campfire. One of the old-timers shared an old trick that everyone uses for years.
Ivory bar soap on the outside of the pot. Rub it on and when you're finished cooking, the soot comes right off when you rinse the soap off.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
7 REPLIES 7

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When I throw wood chips on the charcoal, I do want smoke. But it sure soots up the bottom of the stainless griddle plate. Now I will do this. Thanks.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Redcatcher70 wrote:
Eons ago, as a Scoutmaster, we taught the Scouts to build wood fires and cook on them. We also showed them to rub a coating of dishwashing liquid on the outside of all the pots and let it dry before cooking. This made it much easier to clean after cooking....
As a Boy Scout we also learned to cook over coals and not over flames. That minimizes the soot. But coating also makes sense.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Any magic to the Ivory brand vs others?

No.
We used to use whatever mom put in our backpack and it all worked the same.
Never make the mistake of thinking you know everything about something. ๐Ÿ˜›

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Any magic to the Ivory brand vs others?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've always coated the DO for the campfire. It's second nature to us so much so that we sometimes forget to tell the newbies.

Consider the newbies informed.:B
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, learned the soap trick when I was a counselor at a Girl Guide Camp.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Eons ago, as a Scoutmaster, we taught the Scouts to build wood fires and cook on them. We also showed them to rub a coating of dishwashing liquid on the outside of all the pots and let it dry before cooking. This made it much easier to clean after cooking....
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"