cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prime Rib?

ratherBcampin
Explorer
Explorer
How big/what size would I need to feed 5?......One website said a 5.57 lb roast is only "2 Bones" and will feed 4........Does that sound accurate?......My local butcher told me I need a 5 inch roast.....is that accurate?...I'm confused, in the past, my mom always ordered the roast but is no longer able to.....Thanks!
I don't like to brag, but I can still fit into the same pair of ear rings that I wore in high school!!!!
19 REPLIES 19

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
Remove from oven, tent with aluminum foil tightly, and let set for 30-45 minutes. Remove foil for a few minutes, it will still be hot. Serve.

:E

Be still my heart...I'm sorry, but I must strongly disagree with this (one) step of the process. Never, ever, ever put a tight tent of aluminum foil over a dry-cooked roast you've just removed from the oven.

Post oven cooking rise is the reason for the rest period, and it's critically important that the roast not be subjected to the steaming that tight covering will cause. All the juices will end up in the bottom of the pan instead of in the roast!

I was taught to let it rest, uncovered, for five or ten minutes. By then temperature rise is over and it would be safe to cover- loosely- if the table's not ready.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
SDPat wrote:
I usually figure 12-16 ounces of pre-cooked bone-in rib roast per person. Not to be a stickler here, but not all rib roasts are "prime" Prime refers to the USDA grade, which is the highest grade and consists of only about 3% of beef produced. The majority of prime cuts are sold to restaurants and not the general public. We as consumers usually only have the choice of purchasing Choice or Select grades in grocery stores.

x3

...with the exception that I've always been able to special order a Prime grade rib roast....and have seen it infrequently at Costco, other times, have to go to a specialty meat store.

Prime rib and/or tenderloin was the meat of choice for Christmas.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a lb per person for that meal. Leftover is GREAT food!

Think ahead about how the people like the Prime Rib cooked. If you all like it like you get in town, remember that both ends will be cooked much more. So, you would need to buy at least enough to cut them off, and still have enough servings left. The ends are not wasted, as good as leftovers. But, they will NOT be pink in the center!

If all want pink centers, buy two lbs more than the number of guests.

Put rub on the outside. Let set for a couple hours after, and get the meat to room temp. Put in a 400Deg oven for 30 minutes, then drop temp to 350.

Cook until center is 126 deg. Remove from oven, tent with aluminum foil tightly, and let set for 30-45 minutes. Remove foil for a few minutes, it will still be hot. Serve.

Yum Yum!

We do whole ribs, takes about two hours. However, with partial cuts, will take a little less time.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
vern751 wrote:
In this case Prime rib refers to the cut not the grade of the meat. According to the USDA this cut can be called Prime without grading out as prime.

BINGO!

Confusing, as Prime is both a Grade, and a cut. This cut is Prime Rib, then it is graded into Prime, Choice, Select.

You normally will not find Prime Prime Rib. The best restaurants buy it at high prices.

You will find Choice or Select in normal outlets. Buy Choice, do NOT buy Select. We run a Pheasant Hunting operation, serving meals. Prime Rib is one of our specialities.

My Mother in Law once told us the local store had Prime Rib on sale, and got a couple for us. It was Select. NEVER AGAIN! It sucked. It was just like a dry, roast beef.

Choice is much better, usually costs about $1 a lb more, worth every penny. If that $1 is the difference, and you have to save it, just buy a good regular roast, and save another $ or 2. It will be just as good eating.

vern751
Explorer
Explorer
In this case Prime rib refers to the cut not the grade of the meat. According to the USDA this cut can be called Prime without grading out as prime.
Jeff,Ted
Mason the rescued lab
2002 35' Dutchmen bunkhouse

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
My frank opinion is that if properly cooked the difference between "choice" and "prime" would be undetectable to most folks, except that "prime" will yield more fat when cooked. The grading difference is based on fat marbling- fattest grade is Prime.

ratherBcampin wrote:

But..My question is.....Would a 5 INCH roast be enough?......Would a 5 "INCH" roast equal a 5 lb-er?

Until I read it here, this raging carnivore had never heard the term "5 inch roast". Who buys meat by the inch???? Allow a pound apiece and be happy!

Per the bones:

I serve slabs of roast cut off the bone, leaving a little beef on the rib. Once the roast has been served out, what's left is a nice rack of ribs. Warmed over with a bit of BBQ sauce, a great next-day meal for two!

ratherBcampin
Explorer
Explorer
Over Thanksgiving our local chain store was advertising "PRIME" for 6.99 lb, but when I looked at the packaging, it was CHOICE.....I went to another butcher shop yesterday and they guaranteed it was graded prime.......11.99 a pound it had better be....!

But..My question is.....Would a 5 INCH roast be enough?......Would a 5 "INCH" roast equal a 5 lb-er?
I don't like to brag, but I can still fit into the same pair of ear rings that I wore in high school!!!!

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
I figure a pound per person plus a pound or so for the cook. So for 5 people I'd be looking for around a 6-7# of meat not counting the bones. I like the leftovers with eggs for breakfast ๐Ÿ™‚

Save the bones for stock and make sauerkraut soup with the leftovers. Tastes better than it sounds.. LOL
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
:@

Must be another regional thing...

Hereabouts, "Prime" means every meat-like substance that isn't labeled "Oscar Meyer".

:B

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I like rib roasts. gotta be careful telling the butcher at the grocery that you want a prime 15$/lb or regular at 7$/lb. Regular is pretty good.....

pops

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Hereabouts, "Prime" means every meat-like substance that isn't labeled "Oscar Meyer".

You need to get out more. If "prime" was in the grocery store, most folk would not buy it as it would be way too expensive. Rib roasts are usually $6.95 per lb around here on sale and that is what you see in the stores.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
SDPat wrote:
I usually figure 12-16 ounces of pre-cooked bone-in rib roast per person. Not to be a stickler here, but not all rib roasts are "prime" Prime refers to the USDA grade, which is the highest grade and consists of only about 3% of beef produced. The majority of prime cuts are sold to restaurants and not the general public. We as consumers usually only have the choice of purchasing Choice or Select grades in grocery stores.

I agree completely, what most people are eating is a rib roast, not prime rib. Nothing wrong with it and definitely some of the best meat on the hoof IMO.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
If it's bone-in, a pound apiece is my rule of thumb. If boneless 12 ounces apiece will do. (Weights before cooking, of course.)