cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding fresh farm eggs.....

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
We get our milk and our eggs from farmers/ranchers in our area. The question is: our Granddaughter brought some eggs to the house (finally) but had left them in the car for a day. Outside temperature was probably 90* and that was just yesterday. I do not know how long they had been in her car the day before/what time of day she had put them in her car. They HAD been there for one full day. Mornings are usually 35*..............Your opinions of safety of those eggs.....
Thank you
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
27 REPLIES 27

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
We test our son's eggs by submerging them in water.

If the sink they are OK
If they are suspended vertically in the water, use them quickly.
If the float, don't use them.

Smell is another obvious test when you break the egg open.

I've got to ask, How long has your son been laying eggs??
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I worked at a national grocery store chain. The eggs in the back room were not refrigerated. They didn't get refrigeration until we brought them to the egg case.

In the summer the back room would often get up to 90 degrees.

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
11 days, I would probably still eat them, but I would check them first. The "float" test is great, but not 100%
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
These folks even mark the day they are gathered, the 10th and the 11th.....
Thanks

O-o-o-o-h!

When you said they were "fresh", I thought you meant they'd been laid no more than a few days before you got them. Those are almost two weeks old! Had they been refrigerated for most of that time before they got left in the car in the heat? If not: That's a little too elderly this time of year even for my very casual comfort zone.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
I should have added that they are (to a point) free range. They are enclosed in a large area. They do not wash them.
Right now I think I will test them.....And after testing all 24 float. These folks even mark the day they are gathered, the 10th and the 11th.....
Thanks
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chicken farm. Right now there are eggs in the coop, it will be upper 80's today the eggs will be fine. It really depends on how the eggs have been handled up to the point you got them. Unwashed or refrigerated they will be fine. If they have been washed and refrigerated and only a day or two old they are probably fine. I would still check them out, if they look and smell fine, I would use them without thought.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I would probably hard boil them if it were me. They are likely fine, but I don't know if I would bother eating them sunny side up.
It can also depend on whether they are free range or not. Free range eggs can sometimes be overlooked and get very old.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Ok it really comes down to this.

What is the $ cost of a dozen eggs? What is the physical and emotional cost of your family getting sick?
I also have lived on a farm for years. Eggs are very forgiving but were these eggs in the car with the sun on them pushing well over 100F

It is up to you, me for the few $ toss them.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We test our son's eggs by submerging them in water.

If the sink they are OK
If they are suspended vertically in the water, use them quickly.
If the float, don't use them.

Smell is another obvious test when you break the egg open.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We had chickens for years. Eat the egg. It's Ok. If you break the shell and it smells, then yes, discard it. If no smell, it's good. Chicken coops can get over 90 degrees easily and the eggs are fine, even after a few days.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Eggs are sort of magic, in my book, and remarkably shelf-stable. We kept layers for years and it was fascinating to watch the process! Of particular interest to me was how/why eggs laid by one bird over the course of a week all hatched at the same time once mom started to "set" them-?

It turns out that they're "designed" to be more or less stable for at least that long, only beginning to develop into chicks once the constant setting of the mama bird begins. How cool is that?

Point being, I wouldn't have any concern about intact eggs having been left "out" in heat for a day...my birds' house often got that warm and warmer without any negative effects on the eggs we gathered.

And in any case, if you crack one open, you'll know right away if it's "spoiled"!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Farm eggs are amazing. Unwashed, they will keep for months even unrefrigerated (maybe not at 90 degrees though). Ours sit out in the storage area of the chicken coop for up to a couple weeks until we either eat them or find someone to give them to. In your case, I suspect that they are fine. Enjoy.

Here is a informative article:
Link

Steve

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
they might be already cooked,, I,d pass just to be safe.