cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick meal ideas for late night arrival?

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
I love cooking and take advantage of time in the RV with friends and family to make somewhat elaborate meals. But when we somewhere arrive Friday evening after work (sometimes around 8 PM if we had to work late and/or are going to a park a few hours away), I want something FAST!!! This recipe for sausage and potatoes has been great lately, but I'd love other ideas too. What do you make when you arrive somewhere late?
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion
54 REPLIES 54

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the crockpot several times with a small inverter. Pork chops, potatoes, and mushroom gravy. We also cook beef in it too.

We put the crockpot in the sink with towels around it to keep it from sliding.

Makes a good hot meal when we get set up.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
What, no milk and cereal suggestions? LOL!
I'd probably do milk & cereal before fast food. 😄

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
You can alwatys go the vienna suasages, beanie weenies and potted meat route...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
What, no milk and cereal suggestions? LOL!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We go out to eat on the road. If we are hungry later its either TV snacks or soup. Sometime will have, to go fried chicken with sides and eat at a rest stop. Sometimes I'll make Chili dogs like Denison Chili bean and hot dogs in a pot, served with diced onions and shredded cheddar cheese. plus potato chips.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Ack............first night meal!
I've learned that first morning packing and travel NEVER goes the way it's planned.

So I bring a make ahead cold or rm temp. first night meal with us so I've no need to cook,start a fire or even leave the campground for takeout.

Could be amufaletta ; spring rolls rolls or pan bagnat

The nice thing about both the sandwiches is the olive oil dressing permeates the bread so no need for mayo or mustard.You can change the proteins used in either sandwich. For instance, the bagnat is also nice w/ chicken. As for the spring rolls easy enough to add meat if you want it.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
For our first night on the road or a late night arrival, I usually make home made soup before we leave and freeze it and then let it thaw in the ice box while we're traveling. I also make corn muffins and freeze them and take them to reheat.
Or, I take chili (pre cooked and frozen) to thaw and heat and pour over fritos and top with shredded cheese. yum!

Soup is one of my favorites, too, especially in cooler weather. Easy to heat in the microwave.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I use an little photo book to hold camping recipes. Having recipes in one place is helpful to make a shopping list so I can pick up supplies before we leave. I predict you can/will start out with a couple of easy favorites and expand as time goes on.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Our grocery store deli section sells meat loaf by the pound. I can buy a pound of meat loaf and make a couple days of cold meat loaf sandwiches.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

JordanH
Explorer
Explorer
We usually stop at a fast food place before setting up camp, or just after. If we don't get fast food, we will usually fire up the grill and burgers or hotdogs
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
These Pressed Italian Sandwiches are our current favorite late arrival meal. I make them the night before and serve them with Pesto Pasta Salad. So yummy. (P.S. I cheat a little by using Classico Pesto in a jar.)

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Hot dogs.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
SUBWAY!!!
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a cook but trying to learn. Have been pre-planning meals and having fun with it. Several trips ago after driving most of day, took out some pre-cooked bacon and made couple BLT's and a bowl of soup and salad. Very little clean-up.

Pre-cooking:

Pre-cooked bacon. I cook up about 6 pounds at a time and put into plastic bags and toss a couple packages in RV. Very little clean up, tastes just like it was cooked and doesn't set off alarm!

Pre-cooked waffles. I don't have these mastered yet, but quick and easy for breakfast, take out of freezer and warm up.

Best part of pre-cooking:

I know what I'm going to have for a meal, because I planned it.

Cuts down on trash big time. Food packaging was about 3/4 of our trash when boondocking. Not anymore.

Pre-cooking also makes better use of freezer IMO.

What is really a quick and easy meal for arriving late and if you know the area, pick up a pizza enroute.

(can't believe I'm commenting in cook section)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

2Ambros
Explorer
Explorer
Our fav is homemade soup. Reheat and serve !
Just us & Molly the wonder-lab !
2014 Jayco Jay Flight Swift
2006 Ford F150 4x4
1988 Sierra Cobra, 'Griswald'

We are way too adventurous to be ordinary!