cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoked cheese - first efforts

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first try at smoking cheese. I wanted to see if I could control a low temperature in my new smoker without an additional device. When you see the temp keep climbing, you get a little nervous at where it might stop. Overall, I think everything went pretty well. I will wrap the cheese and let it mellow for a few days before tasting it to see if I need to up the smoke or cut back on it. I did some medium cheddar, Colby - Jack and some Monterey Jack for starters.

This was pretty much representative of my experience. Smoker box temperatures were 86 - 88 and the cheese level temps seemed to be around 5 degrees lower than the box temp throughout with the pans of ice underneath.

Shot of how everything was loaded.

Cheese:

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
27 REPLIES 27

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
What kind of cheese is the mottled looking blocks? Is that caused by the smoking?

Colby-Jack, one of my favorites.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
You should go in business and call yourself Smokin' Dave :c :w

A couple of my friends think the same thing. One is good with graphics and made this. I LMAO!

Not too shabby :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:

A couple of my friends think the same thing. One is good with graphics and made this. I LMAO!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of cheese is the mottled looking blocks? Is that caused by the smoking?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Round 2 is smoked and wrapped.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
How's the cheese aging going, Super Dave? Are you cold or rm temp aging?

The aging has been in the frig but is now a serious challenge. It just tastes too darn good to leave it alone. I better start round 2 so I don't have a void in my smoked cheese supply.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
How's the cheese aging going, Super Dave? Are you cold or rm temp aging?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
It is raining here pretty heavily today so I made a pot of soup and grilled cheese sandwiches with the smoked cheese. That was a first. The smoked cheese, melted is even a different flavor.

Man oh man!
Bread soaking up the brown butter while the cheese inside becomes a kind of liquid gold. Served up with a steaming mug of chicken soup topped with sautéed onions. That's how I want to die.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
It is raining here pretty heavily today so I made a pot of soup and grilled cheese sandwiches with the smoked cheese. That was a first. The smoked cheese, melted is even a different flavor.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
SuperD how did your cheese taste?

I snuck a nibble on Wednesday and the flavor was great but still a little strong. I vacuum sealed all the hunks and will continue to let it rest for another week. I think it is going to be awesome. My wife is the wine drinker in our family but this might get me to drink a couple glasses while enjoying some good cheese.

Glad to know it was successful!

Magnus

KA4EBU
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy made a small bowl with double aluminim for the smoker. Put wood chips in it, laid an electric soldering iron in the chips, the cheese on the racks and smoked away. Made some different flavors and mixes of wood. Worked pretty good and fairly fast. Definitely not for big pieces but a way to get the taste and kill time.
Don and Pauletta
2003 Phaeton 40RH
2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Misty - Enjoying on the Rainbow Bridge
Sophie - Maltese

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how much smoke you want, the timing is much quicker than most realize, myself included. #0 minutes of heavy smoke followed by a rest under wrap to allow the oils to redistribute will give=e a good healthy flavor.
IMO, cheddar will handle more smoke than swiss.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
SuperD how did your cheese taste?

I snuck a nibble on Wednesday and the flavor was great but still a little strong. I vacuum sealed all the hunks and will continue to let it rest for another week. I think it is going to be awesome. My wife is the wine drinker in our family but this might get me to drink a couple glasses while enjoying some good cheese.

Ahhhh! This is what I was waiting to hear:).