cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sourdough Bread --- Crohns Disease

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has Crohns/Colitis; recent research seems to show the emulsifiers used in food could be a big culprit in causing the disease.

I tried baking our own "Amish White Bread" thinking I was avoiding the emulsifiers, then realized the yeast I was using was full of emulsifiers. I'm thinking of trying sourdough bread, using no yeast at all, to see how it might affect her digestive system.

Three questions: Is it really that hard to bake sourdough without yeast? Can I use the left over King Arthur bread flour, or must it be all purpose flour? What's easier, baguettes or bread loaf pans?

Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link that will tell you all about sourdough and even how to get a free starter of "Oregon Trail 1849 Sourdough Starter". I used it several years with both King Arthur bread flour and all purpose flour. It is really quite easy and to me lots of fun.
carlsfriends.net
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
I make sourdough a couple times a week in bread machine.But have made sourdough bread by hand,just takes a while to raise.Place the dough in the oven with oven light on to keep it warm. Starter is easy to make mix it up and keep it fed.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I made a really nice loaf of Whole Grain, sourdough today. It took me about 3 days to fiddle with the starter, but I finally got it rolling. I used rye flour, and leftover yogurt whey to get it activated. Vital wheat gluten, barley syrup and about 3 different, whole grain flours in the dough. Boy, did it go ballistic! I had to do 3 rises, even with a night in the fridge. I baked it in a Boule shape, in a cast iron, covered vessel with parchment paper. Not a speck of commercial yeast. It will be the guest of honor at dinner tomorrow!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sourdough often turns out to be wild yeast carried on the wind.
yeast spores are everywhere.
Soured dough is just what it says. It may take several or many starters to get one that produces bread you like. Most taste bitter to me.
If someone has a good flavor starter, get them to pinch off a bit for you and make a batch yourself and save some for starter next time.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Sourdough 101

This is a pretty good explanation of the science behind sourdough. Very interesting!

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I get water from our municipality. I fill a gallon jug, rubber band a paper coffee filter over the neck and let it set overnight. The chlorine will dissipate.

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
I have equally good results with my RO water and city tap water. Might depend on your city, but ours had chlorine. We know have a well, softener, and RO system. terry r.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Hadn't given much thought to the water. We use a charcoal filter under the sink to get the chlorine taste out of our water. Is that good enough, or should I use some bottled water; when travelling we use Ozarka which claims to be 100% natural spring water.

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
I use a sour starter, I started almost 30 years ago, with no commercial yeast. With proper feeding, and or storage, it is available in a couple of days and can be made daily, if replenished.

You can get a free 1847 starter with a self addressed stamped envelop from ...
http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

You can even make a very tasty, no knead bread with a strong starter and a heavy pot... http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/ This is even good in an outdoor Dutch oven. terry r.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
As far as maintaining a sourdough starter: Once established, I keep it in a pint, Mason jar. Cover it with a paper coffee filter and plastic wrap-put it in the fridge if you aren't going to bake for awhile.
Feed it about once a week. Dump half out, mix 1/2 c AP flour with 1/2 c dechlorinated water, add to remaining starter in same pint jar-give a good stir-cover it up and put it back in fridge.
When you want to use it. Take it out of fridge, follow above feeding instructions, (increase to 1 cup each flour/water) every 8 hours X 3 times-keep at room temperature during this activation phase. Once it starts bubbling, and has a wonderful sweet, yeasty aroma-you're ready to start your recipe.
When you're ready to bake, reserve some of the fed, bubbly starter-back in that same, funky jar, cover and back in the fridge for next time.
This starter will outlive you if properly cared for. It's a good idea to give it a name, (mine is Little Caesar).
This stuff is the original superglue. Clean up any spills immediately.
I cannot keep house plants alive, but sourdough starter is pretty tough stuff. Don't think that it's a high maintenance item. I have forgotten to feed it for two weeks, and it doesn't care. It starts to develop it's own personality-and gets a little cranky in the winter time. But, as the years roll by-you two will learn to happily co-exist. Happy Baking!

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
never heard of beer bread; will google it thoroughly. Thanks

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
don't know, but offering a thought. How about beer bread? If you use your local craft brews they have no preservatives. It might help?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:

Check out Shipton Mills, or Bob's Red Mill.

You might also be able to find some organic yeast locally at an organic food store.

I like the look of that barm yeast. Shall have to check into that one.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
try organic flower, most commercial flour is either gmo or the farmers are using roundup for weed control before harvest.. link: clicky
or both...

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.