cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stainless Steel frying pan

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just threw away another Teflon coated frying pan due to Teflon coming off and decided to try an old stainless steel pan. Every thing seems to stick even with cooking spray or butter and the clean up is terrible. Do these pans have to be seasoned like cast iron to prevent sticking?
31 REPLIES 31

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
put a little more oil in than you would use spray. My SS frying pans are over 50 years old and will last a lot longer.
If anything sticks I pour water into empty frying pan and let it set while we eat. When we are done the water is tossed out or onto the dog's food...when we have a dog. A little detergent is squirted into the empty frying pan and I use a brush to scrub it out. From detergent to clean takes only a minutes scrubbing.
I got tired of replacing the coated pans and tossed them out.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
SWMO wrote:
Gjac wrote:
swtgran wrote:
If you are having trouble cleaning your SS, try deglazing it right when you remove your food. After that it virtually wipes clean.
How do you deglaze it right?

Water, while it's still hot. Works on CI also. Just don't use too much, you don't want to pull all the heat out of the pan too quick.
That is what I do. Just trying to see if this SS pan will be as non stick and as easy clean up as the coated pans. The web sites that Dave posted really helped. I also tried blackened Blue fish using these techniques and it was pretty not stick. I would not want to use teflon for this.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Most of my cookware is ss, I only use the Scotch Brite stainless steel scrubbing pads on it. No mess exists that these can't clean up, they are cheap at Walmart, and 1 pad lasts me months. Great for cleaning all kinds of things.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Properly carbonized cast iron is the original "non-stick" cookware, and the ONLY thing I use for frying.

In my opinion, stainless steel cookware is for water-based stovetop cooking only.

Us too. We have iron (two skillets with lids and a seldom used griddle) and stainless (pots/pans) in the RV. The Teflon got tossed years ago.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
swtgran wrote:
If you are having trouble cleaning your SS, try deglazing it right when you remove your food. After that it virtually wipes clean.

Water, while it's still hot. Works on CI also. Just don't use too much, you don't want to pull all the heat out of the pan too quick.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
swtgran wrote:

Not sure what's meant by "deglaze" here, but I've found that the best way to remove cooked-on food from any pan is to "cook it off". Just put some water in the pan and simmer for a few minutes with a lid on. Stir/scrape occasionally, and pretty soon all food will come unstuck.

I've used this method on everything from scorched milk to burned grits, and it works.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
swtgran wrote:

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
Not stainless, but the best non-stick I've ever used. Lifetime Guarantee and great price and free shipping.

Calphalon Non Stick

And do yourselves a favor: use silicon utensils with any non-stick.
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.lodgemfg.com/

This is very good cast iron. Not Chinese import junk.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
You can't make good gravy in Teflon. You have to have those little bits that stick to the pan.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for cast iron. Go to any swap meet and find them for under $5. If they have a little rust, okay but while you can salvage rusty ones, that's too much trouble.
And that will be the last pan you ever need to buy

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a large non-stick skillet from Costco about 3 years ago (Kirkland brand) and it's held up very well. Very sturdy and well made and cleans up easily.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used SS cookware for years. I have had no real issue with sticking or burning. I dont use any "special" tricks,just cook in them. If anything does stick to the bottom you can clean it with a nuclear bomb and not hurt it. I also have been using cast iron lately and am becoming a big fan of it. Happy cooking.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2023 Jayco 25RB