cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstuffed Cabbage

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
I love stuffed cabbage, but hate the work, so I came up with an easier way.

Unstuffed Cabbage

1 1/2 to 2 lb lean ground beef or turkey or Lil Smokies (sliced)
1 Tbsp oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp sea salt

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef/turkey and onion and cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. If using Lil Smokies, add with cabbage.

Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and spices. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender (at least 30 minutes).

Yield: Serves 8 to 10.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
18 REPLIES 18

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
For this recipe, I use jar spaghetti sauce for the tomato ingredients.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for this especially from the man; right up his alley:).

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like your idea of a quick recipe.
But being raised in a Polish home, Polish stuffed cabbage Golabki (pronounced go-womb-key) is made with a mix of ground beef and ground pork with some rice mixed in. 🙂

So I will try your quick stuffed cabbage recipe (with my modification) and I think it will be good! But I'll probably call it Lazy Golabki.
My mom had a similar short cut for Pierogi and she always called it Lazy Pierogi, as it eliminated the rolling of the pierogi dough.

(Apologies for the incorrect spelling of Golabki, but when I tried to use the slashed L or the ogonek under the letter a, RV net would not accept my post.)

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing basically that same recipe for years. I think it's a good one too. Hmmm...next time I'll have to try adding Worchestershire sauce!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara