cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need ideas

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Going to head out next week and dry camp and need some ideas for easy meals for hubby and I. We have a grill/camp stove and of course the stove top in the rig and the refrigerator. I am just so sick of our usual fair and I really am not interested in spending all my time cooking. Due to the dry conditions, probably won't have a campfire either. Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
One on my favorite new adds to the camping menus this summer was Asian chicken lettuce wraps. I would make the ground chicken mixture at home and just have to warm a little at camp before spooning into the lettuce shells.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
When i cook at home, I freeze some meals for use camping if i know I will be heading out soon. These are especially handing during "commutes" from NY to Newfoundland or West...so we can zoom the first 24-36 hours and stop little.

This is exactly what we do to. ^^^^
Nice thing is, since it frozen it helps to keep the refridge cold as well.
We also take typical stuff, burgers, steak, eggs, various casserole dishes.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Also, we eat the same things we do at home - rarely do the usual camping meals - burgers, dogs, brats, etc.

1. When I fix spaghetti sauce, I will freeze a quart size bag full of sauce and freeze it. That is a quick go-to for our camping. If I have noodles left, those will get frozen, too. A quick dunk in some boiling water and they are ready, throw together a salad and you have a complete meal.

2. I fix red beans n rice and do the same thing. Freeze at home - thaw and rewarm at the camp.

3. Some of the bagged soups are fabulous! Bear Creek Country Kitchen has a fabulous tortilla, cheddar broccoli and even their chicken noodle is pretty good. These make A LOT of soup - 8 cups or so, so you will have leftovers unless there are many of you. Add some biscuits or cornbread and you have a dinner.

4. Grab some fresh chicken tenders from the meat section and toss in a skillet with some onion and peppers and they are ready in about 10 minutes. Or toss in some broccoli and soy sauce instead of peppers and onions and serve with rice.

5. If you marinade chicken breasts in a baggie in the fridge, you can cook them on the grill in about 10-12 minutes. You can't get much quicker than that. I will occasionally do the same thing with some sliced chuck roast - thin slices, marinade and ready in less than 10 minutes. (the marinade will keep them from being tough)

6. Frozen veggies make meal prep quick and easy. I usually purchase large bags and divide them up into smaller freezer bags for easier meal prep.

Just fix what you would fix at home. Quick meals are just easier to do after a day out and about. I would suggest you google 30-minute meals and see if some of those will strike you.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Recently we began using the BBQ grill to make pizzas. They are very tasty and relatively easy to make. Making the dough from scratch is the hardest part but fairly easy if you use a food processor with a dough blade. The dough can be made up ahead of time at home and then refrigerated until you needed it camping.

Look for recipes on the internet.

They also have ready-to-use dough in the freezer section of most grocery stores, even Walmarts.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Hormel beef tips & gravy.Refrigerated section. Simmer some baby carrots until tender, cook noodles and make beef & noodles w/ baby carrots. I do add a packet of dry beef gravy mixed as directed so there is more sauce. Serve with a salad. Or, use the same Hormel, add grilled onions and mushrooms. Toast garlic toast on grill then assemble on plate putting meat mixture over toast, add slice of swiss cheese on top and cover to start cheese melting , then serve. You can do beef stew with that also. Just add veg of choice and extra packet of gravy. Grill chicken breasts -- make a few extra to shred Make either cold wrap sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, cheese, onion and ranch dressing or chicken salad for sandwiches or use the chicken to make chicken enchiladas, use indirect heat on the grill. You can do a meatloaf on low indirect heat for a couple hours on the grill along with baked potatoes. Possibilities are endless and don't take too much effort.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Donn, rarely eat different when RVing than home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Recently we began using the BBQ grill to make pizzas. They are very tasty and relatively easy to make. Making the dough from scratch is the hardest part but fairly easy if you use a food processor with a dough blade. The dough can be made up ahead of time at home and then refrigerated until you needed it camping.

Look for recipes on the internet.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
When i cook at home, I freeze some meals for use camping if i know I will be heading out soon. These are especially handing during "commutes" from NY to Newfoundland or West...so we can zoom the first 24-36 hours and stop little.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You know, we rarely eat differently than what we do at home. Meat loaf, pork chops, hamburgers, chicken, steaks, tacos, well I hope you get idea.