cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would like to find used cast iron implements. Where?

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to venture to cast iron cooking but, I am to cheap to buy new stuff at $100 or near. Where do I look for bargains and how often do they appear?

ThANKS
31 REPLIES 31

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
thanks, we'll be out west this summer not sure where after our stat in sd

Wanderlost wrote:
Hit the local garage sales and estate sales. Find your independent thrift stores, Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. I've gotten my best non-inherited pieces from these sources, at very reasonable prices.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Hit the local garage sales and estate sales. Find your independent thrift stores, Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. I've gotten my best non-inherited pieces from these sources, at very reasonable prices.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Academy and bass pro stores in tx. Area.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I didn't think of Berlin area.

agteacher wrote:
TSC and Rural King carry Lodge cast iron. For used items try the flea markets in the Columbus. I know there used to be one on west Broad in Columbus. The Wooster area has a large Amish population and you may find them there. I have seen them at the flea market at Indian Lake, Traders World (Monroe), and Caesars Creek.

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
TSC and Rural King carry Lodge cast iron. For used items try the flea markets in the Columbus. I know there used to be one on west Broad in Columbus. The Wooster area has a large Amish population and you may find them there. I have seen them at the flea market at Indian Lake, Traders World (Monroe), and Caesars Creek.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a cast iron frying pan for 29 cents and got several more from my grandmother and great grandmother. Now I have too many but cannot get rid
of them.
I cannot remember why the frying pan was such an odd amount.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not highest quality and smoothest finish but Walmart has some reasonably priced cast iron(Ozark Trails).

I just picked up a 5 quart dutch oven for $17.82 plus tax. Note: Make sure the lid fits well.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
I live in NW Ohio and found best place is Rural King to buy new. I got a 5 piece set of Lodge at the Marion store 2 years ago for $69. They have alot of different Lodge cast iron..
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah not sure of where you are coming up with $100 on. You can get a 12" Lodge deep dutch oven for $60. Skillets much cheaper. What did you see for $100?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avoid Chinese made cast iron. The pot lids tend to fit poorly and changes in temperature can cause them to split open.

I got my first DO from my great uncle who was a cook in the Army. The 10 in oven is from around 1934. I have taken it on too many trips to count. It was in my friend's canoe when he sunk it on the John Day River in OR. I threw him a line and the Dutch Oven and the lid were drug across the bottom of the river. It is one of my favorite possessions.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hit the thrift stores
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Lodge cast iron
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Don't buy any cast iron made in Asia. They don't finish them smoothly and they just don't hold their seasoning like Lodge or the pre-1958 Griswold or Wagner.

Frankly, you can get brand new Lodge CI at very reasonable prices, if you don't want to do the homework necessary to avoid getting fleeced by someone selling sub-standard CI.

Suggest you go here to research Wagner CI:

Avoiding Fake Griswold and Wagner Cast Iron

Evolution of the Wagner Trademark

Cast iron chaos

Happy hunting...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in central Ohio if you are are of any please let me know?

agteacher wrote:
You're in Ohio. In the next month or so, auctions will be starting up and most home/ farm auctions will have cast iron. Watch your local newspaper or the local regional papers and look for cast iron and go to the auction. You will also start seeing swap meets or flea markets soon. They usually have cast iron. Any questions, PM me. I'm from Oho and have lived in most of the areas of the state at one time or another.