cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 Computers / 1 monitor

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old computer using Windows XP that has numerous programs on it that are not available for Win 7 and above.. (GPS programming for Boats Gps Sounder, etc) The old computer will not be connected to INET but on occasion I need what is in it... Rather than complete the difficult task of swapping the monitor cable (location) from one to the other, is there some kind of switch that will let me select between two computer inputs to the monitor? What am I looking for? Both computers when connected to a monitor use the same blue type basic video connection but I don't know the name for it..
14 REPLIES 14

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:

It's called a KVM switch. You can use a software aka am where you use a special cable that hooks both computers up to the same keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I had one for a while and forget what keys I pressed to switch between computers but it worked flawlessly and was cheap.

^^^^^This answer

Yup for me I just hit the scroll lock key twice and everything switches over to the other computer, keyboard, monitor, mouse, audio

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
It's called a KVM switch. You can use a software aka am where you use a special cable that hooks both computers up to the same keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I had one for a while and forget what keys I pressed to switch between computers but it worked flawlessly and was cheap.

^^^^^This answer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't use it all that often, and you have the desk space for a second keyboard and mouse, then just plugging in the second computer to a different input on the monitor would be the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I might have the unit and cables you need. am in Oregon, but have to go back to Ca. on Monday. I will look then. you can have them I you wanr.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is indeed a switch called a KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) that not only switches the monitor from one to the other but in addition switches the Keyboard and Mouse over.

I used to have one.

Page 2..... On some computrs you have multiple video outs including HDMI as an option.. if ONE of your computrs has this feature the TV/Monitor itself can do the swiching (Video only)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure you get the kind of KVM switch that allows you to use just one keyboard and mouse for both computers. You want the actual switch to be where you can get at it... not behind the monitor so get the extended cable with the switch on the end. AND check your connections on your monitor to see what you need on the KVM switch.

Nothing like having everything torn apart only to find out your cable won't connect to your monitor without more stuff to bridge it.

Iogear GCS22U USB KVM Switch With Cables And Remote 6

IO Gear KVM switchhttp://www.staples.com/IOGear+GCS22U/directory_IOGear+GCS22U?
Kathy

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
KVM Keyboard Video Mouse. I have one that also switches audio to computer in use.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

MrWizard
A kvm switch will switch everything between computers
An A/B switch for VGA monitor signals, will switch the signal for only the monitor
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a somewhat newer modern monitor it may have multiple video inputs. Just plug both computers into the separate video inputs on the one monitor and then select which one you want to display from its front panel buttons..

My two 24-inch DELL monitors has many different VIDEO INPUTS all selectable from the front panel button. It also has a picture-in-picture mode which I use alot for my older M90 Dell computer. It is displayed in a small PIP view down in the bottom corner of the large screen. I can select which computer I want to go to full screen ...

I have been running LAPTOPS for years using the DUAL 24-inch DELL monitors. My laptop sits in a docking station and feeds both monitors allowing me to throw many selected views from the same LAPTOP across both monitors.

When we head out in the RV I just grab the LAPTOP and plug it into a similar setup in the RV bringing all my programs with me where ever we go...

I have a feeling however both your computers are old somewhat vintage types...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
I use (Remote desktop protocol) RDP - not sure if XP has it available or not but it probably does. You do need to be using a pro version of the MS operating system usually. I have multiple MS OS computers and only one monitor. Using this method I have access to PC's at work as well as my home computer while on the road using my laptop. If you do not have access to MS RDP there are several other "free" applications that will let you do the same. A program called VNC for example.
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companionโ„ข 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I use a KVM switch. (StarTech 2 port Professional)to use one monitor and one keyboard for both my laptop running Windows 7 and a desktop (not connected to the internet)running XP Professional.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a KVM switch.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
computer A B switch