cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3Tb Hard Drive Problem -- Win 7 ???

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have a problem. I have searched Google but could not find an answer. So I ask my RV computer experts.

I have a HP xw8600 with Intel Zeon X5260 @ 3.33 Ghz desktop. I have an Hitachi HDS53030ALA630 3Tb hard drive that I use for backup using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2. The HD is format GPT - NTFS. Window 7 Ultra 64 disk manager reports this as a single 2,794.53 Gb Primary partition. The disk appears to work OK.

However when the backup data stored exceeds the 2.2Tb limit all type of problems happen. The hard drive appears to loose its GPT status and check disk reports a large number of errors. Thus I lose my backups. The same problems happen it I simply copy more than 2.2Tb of date to the HD.

If I use the HD in a Plugable external hard drive docking station that is design to accept up to 4Tb drives , the HD appears to work OK without the 2.2Tb limit. Thus I think the HD is good.

Questions.

1. Could the problem be my motherboard does not support the 3Tb drive?

2. If I partition the drive as a 2Tb and a 1Tb will it work? In other words, is the 2.2TB limit for a partition or for the total drive?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
7 REPLIES 7

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
op i would run acronis drive monitor, or HD tune pro and check the health via S.M.A.R.T

robreab
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like you have bad physical sectors on your hard drive. I wouldn't trust it with anything critical for much longer.
2006 31' Holiday Rambler Atlantis SE Ford E450 Gas
Towing a 2006 Camry/Master Tow dolly

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
the motherboard has a 2tb limit it appears, the usb enclosure gets around the limit, your drive appears to be fine.

Thanks for the information. I spent 2 days searching the web for the information.

Can I use my 3Tb drive if I partition it into 2 partitions? Say a 1.0Tb and an 2.0Tb partition.

i would try it, as im surprised windows is seeing the full size, not sure where the limitation really is.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
LittleBill wrote:
the motherboard has a 2tb limit it appears, the usb enclosure gets around the limit, your drive appears to be fine.

Thanks for the information. I spent 2 days searching the web for the information.

Can I use my 3Tb drive if I partition it into 2 partitions? Say a 1.0Tb and an 2.0Tb partition.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

read through the comments
Clicky

MrWizard
10 percent is used for overhead
Thus 3TB drive becomes 2.7 usable
You appear to have lost 500 gigabytes
There is either a hidden partition or the disc drive has corrupted sectors
IIRC that drive has three platters , 500 gig per side of each platter
It could be the read/write head for one side of one platter is malfunctioning

I hope it is only a hidden partition that can be recovered
Rather than a malfunction

Either way sounds like it might be time to replace that drive
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
The most you will get from a 3 TB drive is 2.7 TB.
Don't know about your problem though.

I have a 4 TB that is really 3.6 TB