cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A solution to watch movies on TV with no DVD or wifi needed

barefoot14
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought software from www.playon.tv which allows you to actually record streaming movies or TV from Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix and many other stations. I transferred the movies to a USB flash drive and can watch them on our TV which has a USB port. You can also transfer them to a newer iPod touch and connect to TV with appropriate composite cable. It works great and we are thrilled! Cost very little, easy to copy and their customer support is awesome. They helped me every step of the way. The only thing you need is fast internet...I load them up at work, pause recording then remotely access my work computer from home at night and tape on work's high speed broadband connection. Too slow at home on our DSL. Good luck if you try it!

Pam in VA
2008 Winnebago View
37 REPLIES 37

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
Barefoot14 wrote:

Sorry you misunderstood, I was trying to be helpful to the community. Guess I'll keep my great discoveries to myself from now on

NO, absolutely NOT, Keep up the good work !!!!!

And this is for Toed >>>> ๐Ÿ˜›

X2, and thanks again for the tip! Much appreciated.
Just ignore the types when they poke their heads out of their burrows.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Time shifting does not apply here. Netflix allows you to watch the movie whenever you want, not when they air it - therefore you do not need to "time shift" to watch the show within Netflix's parameters.

The argument here is that the end user does not wish to be connected to the internet when watching the show. THAT has not been determined to be a LEGAL use of downloading - therefore, it is still considered illegal.

Will the courts come back and say downloading to counter internet access issues is legit? Maybe. But they have not done so at this time.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

barefoot14
Explorer
Explorer
Per the folks from Playon.tv: "PlayLater is totally legal.PlayLater doesn't download Netflix videos - it records videos as they are played (in real time). It's not at all the same as recording a movie in a movie theater. PlayLater works in the same way as traditional DVR but for online videos. Folks with cable and DVR service can record cable programming. A valid Netflix subscription is still required to record Netflix videos with PlayLater and each recording includes your IP address and account info to prevent sharing."

barefoot14
Explorer
Explorer
Per techfaster.com: PlayLater functions like your normal DVR with your online subscription services being the โ€œchannelsโ€. The kicker, which makes PlayLater legal is the fact that you have to have an account with whatever service you want to record. For instance you canโ€™t download and record something on NetFlix if you donโ€™t have a subscription to Netflix. A little gray area which says if you have a license for the service you can watch it anytime is the loophole that makes PlayLater totally legit.

From techhive.com: But what about PlayLater? Doesn't it violate copyright laws? Here's what a spokesperson wrote to me: "Just like the broadcast DVR and the VCR before it, PlayLater is designed for personal use and convenience. The Supreme Court declared the VCR to be legal, because it is considered "Fair Use" for consumers to make their own copies of content for the purposes of time-shifting. The same Fair-Use doctrine also applies to the DVR, as well as to PlayLater."

The right to time shift has been upheld by the Supreme Court. With the introduction of streaming technology, it has become somewhat a gray area.

It's not expressly illegal so long as it doesn't circumvent digital rights management, such as copy protection.

It's also not considered pirating so long as you are not profiting from the time shift material. However, bypassing commercials has raised concerns of copyright infringement.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
If he's reselling or giving away the material he's recording, he's pirating. If he's time shifting for personal use only, it's perfectly legal. He's not "renting" Netflix movies. He pays a monthly subscription to access their database of material.

It's no different than me recording a show off HBO to watch at my convenience.

toedtoes wrote:
No I wasn't being funny. Recording movies off of Netflix is pirating. It's the same as video taping a movie at the theatre.

If you want to do this, that's fine - but don't suggest that it is perfectly legal (at least not in the manner you have promoted it).

Recording over the air shows is legal - recording rental shows is not.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
No I wasn't being funny. Recording movies off of Netflix is pirating. It's the same as video taping a movie at the theatre.

If you want to do this, that's fine - but don't suggest that it is perfectly legal (at least not in the manner you have promoted it).

Recording over the air shows is legal - recording rental shows is not.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
vwsportbug wrote:
If you are purchasing a new TV with this in mind, be careful that the TV you buy has the capability to play movies thru it's USB port. A couple of mine will only support MP3 files on their USB. A third one works fine with movies.

X 2 & some USB ports are marked "service only"
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

vwsportbug
Explorer
Explorer
If you are purchasing a new TV with this in mind, be careful that the TV you buy has the capability to play movies thru it's USB port. A couple of mine will only support MP3 files on their USB. A third one works fine with movies.
VeeDub
2006 Carriage Cameo LXI F35FD3
2006 Ford F350 Dually

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No good deed goes unpunished.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Barefoot14 wrote:

Sorry you misunderstood, I was trying to be helpful to the community. Guess I'll keep my great discoveries to myself from now on

NO, absolutely NOT, Keep up the good work !!!!!

And this is for Toed >>>> ๐Ÿ˜›
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always get a good laugh out of the self appointed hero's of things...

Reminds me of the old CB days of the 60s where half the folks you heard where the illegal non-licensed users of the CB Band and the other half of the folks you heard was the ones yelling at the first half. Made the CB band totally unusable hehe...

We do the DVR thing all the time at home by recording the shows to view later when we have time to watch them... Works out great when two shows you want to watch are on at the same time... With the Terabytes capacity USB Hard Drive sure makes it easy to carry along pre-recorded movies with you...

Finding enough GBs data plans to downstream TV shows sure is getting harder and harder to find these days.

We get our TV fill pretty much by using the OTA BATWING and picking up the Digital NATL Broadcast (FREE) stations from the local towns but some times movies fill the bill. Bringing along DVR pre-recorded movies sounds like a good plan to me.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

It's basically time shifting. Not illegal, but likely violates the Tos of the streaming services.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully toedtoes was just trying to be funny...I laughed at his remark. And the first thought that came to mind when I read it....I bet barefoot14 owns the company...yep!

barefoot14
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and I'm not using my work internet against policy. I own the company.