cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angling the TV Antenna to the stations

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cheap TV (RCA 15 inch) in the camper, and for the most part it works just fine for us. We like it for the news and weather, and really don't plan on watching much more than that.

My problem is the signal sensing bar. If it is a weak signal and I have not got it pointed just right, the channel scan will not pick up the channels and show them on the scan.

From there, I might miss completely good usable signals unless I do multiple passes and swing the antenna about 45 degrees with each pass and try and scan to find more channels.

I have no idea what I might use to help this little dilemma... any suggestions?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel
20 REPLIES 20

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these OTA digital signals are crystal clear, and as good as my over priced Directv HD at the house! Problem is, you just don't know when you can get them.

Thanks for the info.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I like camperpaul's method. Mine has been similar in that I just search the web for directions of all the local channels transmitting antennae for a particular area, then I set up in the direction of the most desirable or where I would get the most channels.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Good info
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
...The new HDTV signal all operate on HIGH VHF and UHF frequencies and you have to be pretty zero'ed in on them before picking them up in your TV digital scan...Roy Ken

actually the frequencies used by television stations have not changed a bit. what has changed in many cases is the individual station frequency assignment. many, maybe even most, stations that had a frequency assignment in the VHF portion of the band (channels 2-13) now are transmitting in the UHF portion of the band (channel 14 and up). you can't tell the station frequency assignment by channel number anymore since the FCC allowed those stations that relocated to a UHF frequency to retain their VHF identity. for example, NBC channel 5 here in Chicago used to transmit their video on the frequency assigned to VHF channel 5 (as did every station in the country that was on channel 5). these days NBC 5 in Chicago is now transmitting on UHF channel 29 even though it still calls itself channel 5.

everything else being equal a UHF signal will generally not propagate as far as a VHF signal. add to that is where our RVs are generally parked...out in the boonies amongst trees, mountains, etc. generally farther away from the transmit sites. throw in relatively low (in terms of height above terrain) directional receiving antennas and the result are difficult to receive signals. like many folks using the winegard batwing we added the winegard wingman UHF add-on. that helps draw in more UHF signal to the amplifier.

when we set up I will scan a second time with the antenna at a 90-degree angle to the first scan if the first scan doesn't produce a good result. whatever method works for you.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
In our last month long trip to the US we often just cranked up the antenna (Bat Wing) and the channels were everywhere. Only in a couple of spots did we have to search about.

In others experience.. once you are within a strong signal range, I would think that any direction of the antenna might work. The real use for the finder would be in weaker signal strength areas. It sure was odd to find five strong TV shopping channels in a few places, and then have to search for the news channels.

Would you not just leave the sensitivity adjustment at max all the time and only use the device in weak signal areas?
Mike
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question on the sure lock.. Do more LED's mean more stations, or stronger signals?

The Sensar pro indiates signal strength, and also scans for stations, in a different mode it will "page" through all the stations.

And the free Antenna Helper app for your Droid phone .. It helps too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Here ya go. TV Antenna Helper in PlayStore. I would guess I phone has it too.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
There is an app for your phone that locates and gives TV signal strengths and directions. Forget the name. I'll see if I can find it. Let me go get a beer first. Be right back.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Check out www.tvfool.com. All you need to do is enter your location and it will identify every in range over the air TV station by channel number, distance, and compass direction from your location. Of course, you must first know where you are and have some sense of direction or a compass.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The sure lock signal finder seems to be the rig to have. A couple of others have mentioned looking up things on the internet, but when boondocking without a wifi connection, there is no option for internet connection.

Having said that, please note we are Canadians, and when in the USA we do not have a cell phone internet connection.

thanks for the replies.
Mike
Mike
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
AntennaPoint.com will also tell you where each network (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc.) has nearby antennas.

I use it every time we change locations. It's amazing what good over the air reception is available now.

Hope this helps.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
This little gadget Sure Lock Signal Finder works great.

Attach it to an antenna output, turn it on and rotate the bat wing until you get the strongest signal, then run the scan on the TV.

I have mine attached to an unused output on my distribution box and just let it hang out of the cabinet where I can see it from the antenna crank.

With digital TV you need to have a pretty good signal before the TV will pick it up.

Whoops, see Roy beat me to it!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
http://antennaweb.org/ and a compass

I prefer this one http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

You can move the "your location" icon around as an aid in selecting a campsite.

It uses the actual locations of all of the TV station antennas and the terrain maps from the US Geological Survey.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I'll bite...

There is a HDTV signal finder you can have inline with the RG cable that will MAX UP on the digital TV signals. This is the King Controls SureLock SL1000 Digital TV Signal Finder (SL-1000)... The new HDTV signal all operate on HIGH VHF and UHF frequencies and you have to be pretty zero'ed in on them before picking them up in your TV digital scan. Using the SURELOCK finder you just move the antenna back and forth until you find the signal - keep reducing the gain until you MAX the idiots lights and that will be the direction of the HDTV transmitter. Then you can run the DIGITAL SCAN from your HDTV scan menu.

We usually get 6-36 digital high def TV signals just about everywhere we go here on the East side of the US... This is with using the BATWING OTA antenna setup.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS