cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antenna and Amplifiers for Weak WiFi Signals

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want to pick up weaker WiFi signals for the rig. What are some of the highest gain WiFi antenna and amplifier products? A directional antenna is OK and the "best" location for me would be on the flagpole at the rear of the rig and I'd like to use a router/repeater for the rest of the rig.

Equipment, options and suggestions welcome.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
39 REPLIES 39

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
cpaulsen wrote:

which gives me wifi thru Verizon.

No, you're not getting wifi through Verizon. What you're getting is internet access via the cellular network. You may choose to set up a wifi network within your RV using a phone's hotspot or a Jetpack device but that's completely independent of what you get from Verizon.

Words do matter.

Not using a hotspot...just the jetpack sitting in the Wilson Sleek cradle.. and everything is thru Verizon
cpaulsen

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the website and they show a picture of a Yagi:
Connect the Bulletโ„ขM to any existing antenna with an N-type female connector to create an airMAXยฎ basestation.
So I'm thinking Yagi and Bullet directly behind it with the Yagi attached to the Batwing. It would lay flat, then raise and rotate. It would be long at about 3' but not a lot of windage so maybe OK?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim,

Maybe we can put our heads together on this over at Rigatoni's. We'll be home for a few days on 9/13 or so. Maybe longer as Cummins will be replacing a sheared turbo bolt - long story.

Bob

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
CA Traveler is muddying the waters a bit as well.

I think he is just trying to clarify the difference as some of the responders don't seem to understand the OP's original question.

I use the Nano Station M2 and it is great but I also would like a stronger external antenna. I have a TP Link Parabolic antenna but it is much too large to carry for occasional use.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is interesting: Ubiquiti BULLET-M2-HP Outdoor 802.11 B/G/N M2HP $72 Amazon
It connects directly to the antenna (no cable) and apparently that can include a Yagi or any antenna with the correct mating connector. So now we've gone from the Loco M2 at 8dBi to the Nano M2 at 11 dBi to the Bullet at 15 dBi with a 15 dBi antenna. The bullet also has a built in signal strength meter. Perhaps you see it on the computer screen? That could be handy to tune in the signal.

Note: The $72 is just for the Bullet and not the additional parts.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I thought I was clearer than mud. :R But I'm watching them dredge the slip where I keep my boat and everything is very muddy down there. So apparently I got real mud mixed up with WiFi mud. :h

So I'll try to keep crystal clear radio waves separated from harbor mud that hasn't been dredged for 17 years.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler is muddying the waters a bit as well. The MiFi DOES NOT connect to any outside WiFi connection such as the service that many parks attempt to provide their customers. The Wilson antenna, amp and interior antenna will also NOT help with a campground WiFi connection. These are cellular devices and allow the MiFi device in the coach to pick up the Verizon Cellular signal. If no signal is available from Verizon the in-house WiFi network created by the MiFi device is completely useless if you are attempting to connect to the internet.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ubiquity is a commercial supplier and the the antenna router and power injector in David Bott's video are not out of the box plug and go user friendly but his instruction video and info on his blog make it simple for anyone with some basic knowledge around a computer. I have gotten connected as far away as about a quarter mile .. I haven't had it long enough to try longer.
For most I think he also recommended the wifi ranger as a good choice and the one he uses mostly, but it is more costly and not as far in range ability ( not a directional antenna ) but it's software is more user friendly
Bill

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Memory refresh: The ubnt antenna/amps linked above are for 2.4GHZ. As I recall that would be for 802.11 b/g and not n/ec. Sound correct?

Still very interesting.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For anyone new to the MiFi it's a small cell device that uses Verizon data to provides WiFi. Up to 5 WiFi devices can be connected including printers, so it can and does provide us with a WiFi network in and near the rig. It has a battery that lasts 2+ hours. Also push some buttons and it provides your data usage information. I'm sure other providers have something similar.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I should have mentioned that I have a Wilson antenna, amplifier and internal antenna. Combined with the Verizon MiFi I have both cell and WiFi in the rig when Verizon cell is available. There are times when I want to pick up other WiFi besides the MiFi for a variety of reasons.

I have a very old C Crane antenna WiFi/USB that provides better range. The C Crane parabolic antenna (15dBi) and amplifier are huge and also USB.

Dave Bott's video and information look interesting with 2 different integrated antennas and amplifiers. The equipment is certainly at a good price point. Ideally I'd like to see a amplifier combined with a Yagi and WiFi setup.

Bob

docj
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:

which gives me wifi thru Verizon.

No, you're not getting wifi through Verizon. What you're getting is internet access via the cellular network. You may choose to set up a wifi network within your RV using a phone's hotspot or a Jetpack device but that's completely independent of what you get from Verizon.

Words do matter.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sleek is for cellular (and no cellular is available) not for WiFi reception.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
cpaulsen wrote:
Use a Wilson Trucker antenna.....less than 50 bucks and is Omni-directional. Works for me.
Are you using a cell antenna as a Wifi antenna? I wasn't aware that Wilson make WiFi antennas.

I use the antenna for my Wilson Sleek which gives me wifi thru Verizon.
cpaulsen

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
So how far of a distance are we looking at for these?

We have a permanent site at a small campground, 24 permanent sites. On site is a bar/restaurant with free wifi.
About have way between my site and the bar I can pick up the wifi on my phone. This is line of site. My camper is not line of site, but not far off. Few trees and a slight incline.

I don't know the distance from the bar to my site, but I will guess it's 800-1000ft. Line of site probably stops around the 600ft mark. (600ft from bar)

So if I buy one of these antennas is this doable? I would then need to connect the antenna to a router in my RV to rebroadcast the wifi to my wireless devices?

No cellular data works where we camp. VZW, ATT, etc. none of them work.

Thanks for any advice. Sorry about the hijack, I figured it didn't make sense to start a new thread about basically the same question.