cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NICARAGUA Which Windows 7 version?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I asked this before and got confused-sorry.

I want the version that I can reformat the disc as many times as I want and not get Pirate popup warnings from Microsoft. With my age I will stop being supported before Windows 7 is.

Same for an old Office disk. The newer versions are beyond my ability.
10 REPLIES 10

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
MEX,
The one you want is W7 OEM either Pro or Home Premium. The latter is probably good for you. Available from Newegg for $99.
OEM version can be reinstalled as many times as you need ON THE SAME COMPUTER MOTHERBOARD. A retail version ( almost impossible to find now ) can be installed on any machine you wish but ONLY ONE INSTANCE AT A TIME.
To clarify the OEM use, you can update the computer components, but NOT the motherboard.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
Windows 7 home premium is what you want. It should be labeled for new installation, not upgrade. May be hard to find now, as they are selling windows 10.

There is a way to use an upgrade version, but it is not pleasant to do. I can tell you more if you get stuck there.

Only way to tell if the copy is genuine is to look closely at the holograps and label on the packaging. If the holograph does not look real, don't buy.

Libre Office is a good free alternate to MS Office. Unless you are a heavy user it should handle all your needs. Some differences in complicated spread sheets, and in document formatting.

I am not sure on authentication, by MS seems to know if you are installing on the same machine. I just did three clean installs on the same machine in two days,and there was no problem. It seems that after some months the authentication server drops old details and you could reinstall on a different machine.

If all you can find is a Windows 7 new install disk, not OEM, that had been previously used, but is no longer in use give it a try. If it is a genuine copy and authenticates you should be good.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which one you buy depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're just web-surfing and home use, then Home Premium will work. I got Professional just because I wanted to be able to do things in the future that I may not be aware of right now.

The best way to tell if the disk is legit is to buy from a reputable source. Ebay doesn't really fall under the "reputable" umbrella. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Windows Home Premium?
Windows Professional?
Others?

Which is the most intelligent choice?

How do I tell if the disk is legitimate, before I buy?

MrWizard
new DVD and CD are blank

new Hard drive, is Formated for the intended system,
but contains no system data, it is empty except for the data that defines the way the data will be stored

a HD with windows on it actually contains several partitions (sections)
the primary C: drive and usually a system reset restore partition
invisible to normal use, and only visible with special tool software
and only active, when you choose the factory restore, which makes it BRAND NEW again
not to be confused with "restore points" which are under user control
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And here I do not know squat from hot chocolate. A new disk is blank, right?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's also an OEM version that is supposed to be locked to the motherboard of the computer that you install it on. If you replace the MOBO you're SOL.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
What he's saying is that there are two kinds of Windows. OEM - this is the copy that comes already install on your desktop, laptop. Your system comes with a restore partition, or maybe if it's really old, Restore CDs. If that's what you have - go nuts. Reformat and reinstall to your heart's content.

The other version is called the "Retail Version". Meaning you bought it from Microsoft directly.

Retail versions will let you reinstall a handful of times and then Microsoft will assume you're a thief and stealing their software and start to complain.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Little fuzzy here if I buy the right kind of Windows 7 can I use it for perhaps five reloads in a five year period? The laptop which I am getting is not going to have any disk. I want to upsize the storage from 70 GB to perhaps 3-500GB. This is a basic laptop. I tried one out that had a Windows 8.1 and I could not get it to work. Spanish OS with an English keyboard is a no-no.

So Office 2000 just plain won't work with Windows 7. What a bummer.

Thank you. Sorry to be so dumb about this. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I asked this before and got confused-sorry.

I want the version that I can reformat the disc as many times as I want and not get Pirate popup warnings from Microsoft. With my age I will stop being supported before Windows 7 is.

Same for an old Office disk. The newer versions are beyond my ability.

As long as you have the FACTORY OEM installation/recovery disc from the PC manufacturer, you should NEVER get "pirate" popup warnings no matter how many times you reinstall the OS.

The manufacturer setup uses a special "key" installed into the MB BIOS which allows only the OEM recovery disc to skip "activation" requirements.

This is only valid as long as you have the same manufacturer PC and recovery disc (IE Dell PC requires a Dell branded OEM recovery disc).

This goes for the recovery disc which you make for that PC using the recovery utility.

Now if you are talking about using a Retail box install disc or a non brand special OEM install disc that you have bought separate from the hardware that is a whole different can o worms you got there.

With those you will only get 8 maybe 10 reinstalls/activations on the same hardware with in the same month and you will get kicked out of the system and require using the phone to plead your case with MS..

Additionally if you bought a Win7 retail or OEM from a less than legit source you may be SOL all together.. Lots of shady characters out there and they don't care if you get stuck with a dead license..

As far as "office" goes, you would have to go back to Office 2000 to not have to deal with "activation". The downside is Office 2000 does not support the "docx" files unless you download the "docx" pack from MS..

Personally, skip the MS Office and go with Open Office (free!), you can find at openoffice.org (make sure you only grab it from there, there are many lookalike imposters which add additional "adware" to your PC).

Or you can get "Libre Office" which also is a FREE office download.