cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T Unlimited Data vs wifi hotspot usage

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Have I-Phone with unlimited data plan and 15 GB hotspot. I have the Apple HDMI connector to where I can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ to the TV using the phone's data plan.
If I want to use wifi for the computer while I'm streaming a movie, would the streaming video still count towards my data plan, or would it switch over and start counting towards my hotspot data?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
17 REPLIES 17

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are connected with a hard cable ( Apple lightning to HDMI out adapter to a tv ) the data used that way is always considered โ€œon phone โ€œdata. Instead of using the phone display your using the tv as the phones display in fact the phone display is only a control panel mode . Connecting the hotspot ( WiFi or Bluetooth) is a separate function and I never noticed a problem ... other that the wireless hotspot going against my hotspot data cap it did not effect my unlimited on phone streaming. Note I havenโ€™t used this in awhile since I have dedicated hotspots now. Doing so I found my video stream speed slowed if my data connection was poor. Only so much data to go around and not a good solution so I bought dedicated hotspots.
I did find a few streaming sources that would not transfer to the tv via the dongle ( blocked) as a FYI
Bill

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Per the online rep at AT&T: M

Movie streaming stays on phone's unlimited data plan even with the hotspot activated for the laptop. Will have to verify with a couple of bills, but hopefully his information is correct.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
This is what the OP asked:

"If I want to use wifi for the computer while I'm streaming a movie, would the streaming video still count towards my data plan, or would it switch over and start counting towards my hotspot data?"

The answer is still, if streaming on the phone, it's under the unlimited data plan for the phone. If the wifi hotspot is enabled, devices that are connected via that hotspot count towards the hotspot data limit. Whatever you are doing on the phone stays on the unlimited data plan. It doesn't switch to the hotpot data because you can't connect your phone to your own hotspot connection. Likewise, if you have the computer connected to the hotspot, it won't switch to the phone's unlimted date. The phone stays on the phone unlimited data plan and all other devices connected on the hotspot uses the hotspot's data plan.

Look at it this way, your phone is creating two data connections, one for everything you're doing on the phone itself and another for everything that connects through the hotspot when you turn that on. They are separate connections.

As for priority, the phones data connection activity takes priority over the hotspot data connection activity. The only time they impact each other is if you try to stream video over both connections at the same time. When that happens, both get throttled back with the hotspot connection taking the bigger hit. I think that the plan was really designed for those in areas with 5G.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

MrWizard
Yes..yes..
That is not the question
The phone connection is cellular and digital
Even voice is treated as data by the phone and AT&T
It's is how the data is encrypted and how it is billed
Voice is billed as minutes
The OP does not want to connect his phone to itself
He wants to use a video Appm on the phone to watch a movie
And while doing this he wants to turn on the WiFi hot spot on the phone and connect his PC to the phone WiFi hotspot and use the PC online
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
From what the AT&T website appears to say is the phone connects via the data plan and the wifi hotspot is for other devices to connect via your phone. Your own phone can connect via any wifi hotspot except your own. Maybe they are just saying it without any way to restrict it, but they claim your own phone would be prevented from connecting to your own phone's hotspot. The plan the OP has is actually two data plans bundled; one for the phone (unlimited) and one for the hotspot that phone can create (limited to the amount you bought).

MrWizard
Say your watching Netflix or Hulu on the phone
You are using the streaming service App
WiFi hotspot is also an App

Question. Which App has priority over the data stream
I don't know how the iPhone handles multi tasking with different apps

If both apps can run concurrently
It just might do what you want

Try it
Stream a movie, then try web surfing
Say 15 minutes, wait a day or two
Then check your account status online
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like whatever connection was used to initiate the streaming service is what stays with that content. Since the phone probably connects via the data plan, it would be data. I don't think you can connect the phone to your own phone hotspot; only make it a hotspot for other devices. But it looks like you can only stream from one or the other, not both without a serious reduction in speed. So even if you have all your phone data and hotspot data available, they will throttle your simultaneous streaming over both down to a low amount that could cause one or both to continually buffer.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The op connects the iPhone to the TV via HDMI
So he can watch stream video included in his plan on his TV

But he wants to also turn the hotspot at the same time and use his computer on line via the hotspot

The question is how will the video data stream be accounted for after he turned on the hotspot

Hotspot limited data
Or unlimited phone data , which is what it is before he turns on the wifi hotspot

Exactly...and I can't even get a reassuring answer from the rep at the AT&T store.

I have unlimited streaming via HDMI because that is using the data plan on the phone, not the hotspot.

MrWizard
The op connects the iPhone to the TV via HDMI
So he can watch stream video included in his plan on his TV

But he wants to also turn the hotspot at the same time and use his computer on line via the hotspot

The question is how will the video data stream be accounted for after he turned on the hotspot

Hotspot limited data
Or unlimited phone data , which is what it is before he turns on the wifi hotspot
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
From my understanding, Your Hotspot data plan will provide full capacity up to the GB you selected. Once you reach that limit, your speed will be cut down and could cause problems streaming. The regular data is unlimited but that has a streaming restriction. It will only allow you to stream in essentially standard definition.

Both will throttle your speed when you hit the max capacity limit set out in your agreement. For your Hotspot, that's 15 GB of use. You'll need to read your agreement to see where the unlimited plan starts throttling.

I gather that you can stream in high def using the Hotspot until you hit the data limit which will cut you to a slow connection that makes video watching a problem. On the regular unlimited data portion, you are restricted from streaming in high def all the time but it lets you stream in standard def with no throttling.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the AT&T store. The guy said they โ€œshouldnโ€™t โ€œ co-mingle data because they are separate systems. He did say I should โ€˜monitorโ€™ my usage to make sure what heโ€™s telling me is โ€˜correctโ€™
Geez, does no one teach product knowledge anymore to the younger generation? No wonder in most instances you HAVE to know more than the order taking salesman.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have Verizon Truly Unlimited Plan, it's no longer available. Plan is $110 and each device is $20 per mo. We have 10 lines..

We use my wife phone to stream Netflix a lot. Even with it exceeding the 15gb high speed watching NETFLIX is not an issue. I use my phone hotspot for the desktop. We also have a USB Modem to use if we exceed the 15 high speed on my phone, we usually do.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know about data being data. I had to upgrade my unlimited plan to get the hotspot capabilities.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We tried Verizon unlimited data but at 15gb Verizon throttles it down. It was throttled so much we went back to a set plan with two hotspots. Don't know about other unlimited plans. Using two devices may eat up your data faster if AT&T does the same.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023