cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ATT doing away with satellite TV

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Previously I posted that in five years most people will get television over the Internet. Today ATT announced that they intend to do away with Direct TV and satellite TV by 2020 And provide tv over the Internet. I wish I could predict stocks like that. Dish may be the only satellite provider in the near future. Which may explain why Dish is trying to get into the cellular market.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
24 REPLIES 24

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
So much for watching tv in the boonies... have to enjoy nature. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:
Not only will set top box manufacturers be impacted but Winegard and King Controls will feel the crunch when no one needs to buy satellite antennas. With advances in cell technology, everywhere you can get a cell signal, you will be able to watch tv.

They'll just have to apply their brand loyalty and engineering know-how to cellular and wifi antenna designs.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Well great. Next up, Verizon is buying Dish (rumored)... and I'm sure they'll follow AT&T's lead, shutting down the service.

They can sell their geosync bandwidth to more profitable endeavors... I read somewhere the geosync orbit for North America is pretty crowded, with few if any slots available, would be lucrative to free up that bandwidth.

Either that, or the satellites are expiring in a few years (thruster fuel, cumulative rad damage, etc) and rather than replace them, it's easier and cheaper to switch to "streaming" and just let those birds go dark.

I wonder how AT&T plans to deliver that bandwidth terrestrially, last time I had their DSL service at my house, they struggled to deliver 1mbit, which is not enough for HD.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Not only will set top box manufacturers be impacted but Winegard and King Controls will feel the crunch when no one needs to buy satellite antennas. With advances in cell technology, everywhere you can get a cell signal, you will be able to watch tv.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
They aren't doing this for any benevolent reason like they are doing us favors, or because it's the wave of the future. They are doing it to look good in the face coming legislation that will do away with proprietary set top boxes. Cable companies make huge amounts of money on box rental fees. They aren't happy about the proposal, but AT&T is looking for a way to make us think they are the good guys and at the same time keep us from buying a 3rd party set top box.

https://consumerist.com/2016/09/27/advocates-lawmakers-even-best-buy-call-on-fcc-to-approve-cable-bo...

Personally aside from losing DVR ability, I really like streaming. Time Warner/Spectrum has an excellent TV app that we use on a couple of ROKUs in the house instead of having a box. Now if Netflix can get contracts to open 100% of their content to streaming, I probably wouldn't need cable at all.

EDIT: wowens79 beat me to it!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think most people will stream TV shortly, you will either buy a bundle of channels from Netflix, Hulu, Directtv etc, and stream them. The FCC is pushing that direction by wanting to do away with the cable/satelite boxes and streaming it to apps on smart TV's (http://fortune.com/2016/09/07/fcc-set-top-box-cable/)

You won't see directv go away because many people live in rural areas where speeds needed for streaming are not available.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T has set a timeline to phase out satellites and set-top boxes
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:
The story is on Yahoo and cites Dallas business news.

Thanks, that was a most interesting read.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
The story is on Yahoo and cites Dallas business journal. I wish I knew how to provide a link. Perhaps someone can do it for us.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Could you provide a link to that announcement?

Thank you