cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bat Wing TV - no reception

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Owned my camper for 7 years and just getting around to trying a TV with the bat wing antenna. All I'm getting is snow in my driveway at home. Any secrets to making this system work?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
35 REPLIES 35

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The specs indicate it's HD but analog tuner. While you could use a converter the 2 I had weren't as satisfactory as the TV digital tuner.

Recommend you donate your TV and get a new one. I recently bought the same size for $150.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, the LN-S2338W is not digital. If you intend to use this TV you will need a converter box. I would suggest one of the following:
iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback

Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx ATSC Digital TV Converter Box

With one of these boxes you would be able to watch broadcast TV in high definition if your set has an HDMI or component video inputs.

Also if you plug in a USB hard drive you would be able record TV programs.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
From what I found, your TV is not digital.

Info
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The search page was:
Air
STD
HRC
IRC

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
The screen picture you show is for scanning analog signals only. That is why there is snow in the background. Digital is usually solid blue or black background during a search.

Did you possibly miss a screen asking whether you were searching for Analog or Digital channels? Some TV's may have had a list in setup where checks were needed to identify if search was on Air (antenna)/cable, analog/digital search, etc.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
bigjohnmcvicker wrote:
Whats the model number on the tv?

Samsung LN-S2338W

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF all you get is snow... How old is the TV, a 7 year old TV is likely NTSC (Analog) only and there are not many Analog stations out there.

The porcedure.. Using either a web page like Antenna Web or a smart phone app like Antenna Helper Free,, Find out which way to point.
Elevate and point the antenna

TURN ON the antenna (this means you need a charged battery and the wall plat with the switch and light, antenna and 12 volt connections the light MUST BE ON.

Now on the TV access Menu, Set up and from there you are on you own finding channel scan IT MUST BE SET TO ANTENNA. not cable. as well.

Once you have a station,, Fine tune the aim by using Digital Station Strength.

Of course. this all assumes the antenna is properly connected and not broken (Happens).

Next lession is how to improve. Good luck
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bigjohnmcvicker
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the model number on the tv?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are being a big help. Here is a picture of my menu and where I'm still stumped. I run auto program and it goes through 69 channels with nothing being picked up.

bigjohnmcvicker
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Owned my camper for 7 years and just getting around to trying a TV with the bat wing antenna. All I'm getting is snow in my driveway at home. Any secrets to making this system work?

Snow... You have analog.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Connect a known good TV which will isolate the problem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
As mark mentioned, a 2007 camper could have either analog or digital receiver in it. My 2006 was analog and I believe the the 2007's did as well. If the TV is digital it should have had a sticker that said ATSC on it. Is it still there?

Raise the antenna and point is perpendicular to the wings. The front of the antenna is opposite the mast. If you are in Sacramento proper, start by pointing the due South towards Downers Grove, roughly 20 miles out. If you can see in that direction there are a group of 2000' towers down there roughly in the center of the valley where most, but not all of the transmitters are located. There are a few UHF also up on Bear Mtn. about 50miles to the east. Make sure the amp is on or you will see nothing. When you get into the menu, do a scan and look at how it's progressing. If it's a digital TV you will likely have progress bars that show how many analog and digital stations you have found. If only one progress bar you likely have a analog TV. Or Goggle the model number and see what it says. If it's analog, just replace it. These days the small TV's are cheap.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Super_Dave wrote:
Do all tv's need a digital tuner? I thought just the really old ones did?

Your TV is 7 years old and you have not yet figured out if it is an old analog or digital TV? Only analog TV's show snow. I take it that the manual was discarded with the box.

If the television is digital it has a menu and a scan will need to be run to find either "Digital" or "Analog" channels if they still exist where you are located. Most newer sets will show a screen saying "No signals found. A scan must be run."

By the way some television sets sold in that time frame (2007) were digital monitors. They were analog sets that needed a digital tuner-box for Digital TV. They were mainly sold as computer monitors and much cheaper than early HD sets, but could be used with the addition of the tuner-box.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
If you have checked all of the above you should also check to see if there is 12 volts going up the cable to the antenna head to power the amplifier. Also, time and weather can take its toll on the cable and the connecters. Moisture and corrosion can seriously limit the signal strength to the TV. Digital requires good signal strength to get any picture at all. Replacing the cable can make a world of difference. Get good quality cable and connectors, and make sure to seal the head connection to keep moisture out.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the VISIO 22-Inch HDTV and usually get 6-36 digital channels just about every where we go here on the EAST SIDE of the US.

The NATL BROADCAST transmits everything in FULL HIGH DEF mode which is really great. You will have to point the OTA BATWING antenna in the right directions before you will pick any channels in the SCAN MODE. My big surprise was to get 24/7 RADAR channels to watch. Being in a OFF-ROAD POPUP one needs to know when the BAD WX is sneaking up on you.

If you end up having to use a digital converter box for your older TV you will not get high def TV out of it. The digital converter will convert it back to analog mode. Also most campground still convert their CABLE TV SIGNALS to analog mode so watching high DEF TV from the OTA BATWING is great from the local towns towns. We do both modes when camping at campgrounds with CABLE HOOKUPS.

HIGH DEF MODE is much better on the eyes for us... Also it is FREE to the PUBLIC as well...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS