cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best internet solution for 2018?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to get the best mobile internet plan possible for our USA roadtrip in the lower 48 states. We'll be working part-time so we'll need it to be halfway decent. I was planning to get a hotspot and use that, but thought I should try to get a better antenna for greater range.

The last time I took a road trip was 8 years ago, back then it was nearly impossible to get reliable data by tethering my phone, and I had to rely on spotty wifi in campgrounds. I can't have that this time.

Ideally I'd like something that works even while driving, so nothing like a satellite connection via DirecTV or DishTV. I would prefer a 4G cell phone-like system that would also boost our cell phone signals.

What have you used and what would you not recommend?
32 REPLIES 32

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have been going over the coverage maps, and it looks like almost all of the time we will be in a coverage area for at least one of the 4 major carriers. I think we will plan at least 2 hotspots from different carriers plus range extenders, plus a long-range wireless antenna for 2.4/5Ghz. I'll bond them together with a load balancer or similar device.

For our USA trip we will be going for 3 months, so I don't think it is worth the cost to install a satellite system, as we plan to sell our RV when we are finished with the trip. We'll just alter our trip to make sure we have internet the entire time rather than go to areas without internet access. Even Yellowstone has (paid) wifi these days.

MrWizard
I think verizon has truly unlimited business accounts available

that with a cell amplifier system, would cover most of your needs, at least volume wise

but for data access from remote locations, its satellite with a clear view of the sky

cellular is faster connection
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tom_M, that was a great resource! It made me realize I didn't quantify how much internet we need or our goals.

We will need reliable internet 3 days per week, and due to my primary business we will need it for 24/7 emergencies. I offer SLA's to my clients, so if I cannot remotely logon to their systems I face stiff financial penalties. We would be willing to spend a few thousand per month to solve this problem. So a combination of hotspots, commercial antennas and even satellite might be the best solution for us.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If you want the BEST overall coverage VERIZON has it hands down!!!

We hade the truly unlimited plan @ $110 then $20 per device over that. Combined we use 50-100 gigs per mo. Use my phone for our desktop computer and hers for streaming NETFLIX. Have several family and friends added at $20 per mo.

So that's $150/month for 2 phone plus the illegal riders at an additional $20/month each and if all of you exceed 25GB you can be subject to Network Opimization.
T-mobile 55+ is $95/month for 2 folks (adding illegals is not allowed) with about the same coverage as Verizon. The possibility of Network Optimization happens if you exceed 50GB.
T-Mobile coverage is excellent. Verizon coverage is excellent. Both can have areas where coverage is weak or non-existent.

Sir Respectfully you have no idea what you are talking about!

NO, T Mobile does not have anywhere the same coverage as VERIZON.

NO, people I have added are NOT "illegal" as each was added by VERIZON owned stores.

Depending on how busy the area is you may experience slow downs after 23g or so. I have ZERO issues watching NETFLIX 24/7.

Each line is on it's own plan, one does NOT effect the others.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
New smart phones hot spot well, I have had few issues West of the Mississippi with Verizon, as long as I have cell service I have internet.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
nosebreaker wrote:
Ideally I'd like something that works even while driving, so nothing like a satellite connection via DirecTV or DishTV. I would prefer a 4G cell phone-like system that would also boost our cell phone signals.

4G is the best you are going to get and 4G is still not "everywhere".

Verizon probably has the biggest 4G network, but it you are "off the beaten path", you will probably drop back to 3G or maybe even NO SERVICE !

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

We hade the truly unlimited plan @ $110 then $20 per device over that. Combined we use 50-100 gigs per mo. Use my phone for our desktop computer and hers for streaming NETFLIX. Have several family and friends added at $20 per mo.

So that's $150/month for 2 phone plus the illegal riders at an additional $20/month each and if all of you exceed 25GB you can be subject to Network Opimization.
T-mobile 55+ is $95/month for 2 folks (adding illegals is not allowed) with about the same coverage as Verizon. The possibility of Network Optimization happens if you exceed 50GB.
T-Mobile coverage is excellent. Verizon coverage is excellent. Both can have areas where coverage is weak or non-existent.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 2013 Verizon rules in the coverage department but AT&T and T-Mobile have made major improvements.

A new service is about to debuet. but I don't knwo if they will come out in 18, 19 or 20 Just now they are busy paying fines because they do not have the needed permissions and are intruding on somebody else's radio space

It's a high speed, low latency, 2-way Satellite setup.. But till it gets licensed, not much I can tell you.. in fact I just told you about everything I know about it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I installed a Pepwave BR-1 LTE modem/router and two Wireng BoatANT antennas and I've had constant connectivity since then. Right now I'm in a state forest and the nearest cell site is far enough away that the signal level is fairly low and the site gets overloaded but it does work. Phones don't get a usable signal here.

The BR-1 also does wifi as WAN so if CG wifi is workable I can use it.

This is NOT a cellphone "booster." The phones can of course use wifi from the BR-1 and if I absolutely must yak on the phone I use Viber (a voip app), and Skype could be used.

Remember, not only do you have to receive a signal, you have to transmit a signal back to have a connection. What usually fails is the client cell or wifi transmitter simply doesn't have enough power or antenna for the site to hear the client.

The BR-1 and antennae cost about $700 several years ago. It's obviously not inexpensive but unless you're always near major highways or near cities cheap isn't going to work.

I have a Verizon plan with 24 gigs data, not the "unlimited" plan.
-jbh-

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The T-Mobile 55+ plan appears to be the most affordable plan now available. You get 2 phones for $70 (total, including tax, etc.) and you can add truly unlimited 4G for $25/month on 1 phone and use that phone as a hotspot as necessary. They do say that users exceeding 50GB/month may be subject to network optimization but that's way better than Verizon's 25GB limit and it's way less expensive.
We just dumped Verizon after 15 years or so for T-Mobile and new Samsung S9 phones (buy one get one free!). So far so good.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Verizon MiFi works good for us. I also have used daughters T Mobile phone which seems to have less data throttling than Verizon.

We have used This for 5 years now. Works great.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'