cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best quality vs. price digital photo printing services

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
This may be a bit off topic for this site, but I know there are lots of professional and semi professional photographers here.

A number of years ago I was given access to a large number of 100+ year old 4 x 6 glass plate negatives, prints made from glass plate negatives and autochromes. They are historical in nature and haven't been seen in 75+ years.

I scanned the negatives on a professional scanner at 600 dpi and the autochromes at 1200 dpi. I would like try selling prints on eBay.

I don't want to invest the money for a professional printer. Suggestions on a professional quality printing service where I could get the best quality at the best price for 5 to 10 prints per image would be appreciated.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
8 REPLIES 8

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always had good luck with yorkphoto.com for pictures that I framed, but I have also had good luck with Mpix.com as well. Based on what you're trying to do, I think the second recommendation would be better suited to what you're trying to accomplish.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The approach I would recommend is setting up a pro account with White House Custom Color lab. They have very good rates and they will mount and or frame the prints and drop ship them for you to a customer of yours. Go to WHCC.com.

A big advantage is that your customers can pay extra for a coating or gallery wrap or special mounting or framing and WHCC takes care of it for you.

They will let you send in 3 images and send you back 3 prints at no charge so you can verify your computer's settings are correct. Even with B&W prints there are color tones. With WHCC you have the option of going to paper using a special laserjet process that is close to darkroom and provides the most durable prints or they can generate inkjet prints (which require more protection of the surface).

For pro's they provide special services and if you need information or assistance you can talk to a real person and get help fast.

Files I upload on a Sunday are shipped out on Monday to customers who have them by Wednesday.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I wonder about legality of this, who owns the copywrite, etc.?
bumpy

Copywrite is expired

That's a good thing. Since you are working with digital files try an online service like MPix or Bay Photo. They cater to serious amateurs and professionals alike. I use MPix and the print quality is stunning and reasonably priced.

Another option is to use a POD (print on demand) service like Fine Art America. Free for up to 25 images, $30 a year for unlimited. You don't have to print and frame the work yourself, they do it for you. You set your own prices and you collect your markup. There really isn't any risk to this either. You either sell or you don't. You'll make more than you would from E-bay, but you do have to do your own marketing.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Copywrite is expired
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Not an answer to your question, but I do not believe that 1200dpi is high enough resolution for a print larger than small photo sized- for a larger print, higher resolution is needed.
Regardless of that, I would check local printers first. You might also be interested in http://www.shorpy.com/- I've posted some old photos of mine there, and they always have interesting stuff.
-- Chris Bryant

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Almost every town has a photo shop that does professional printing of photos. They will also refuse to do it if there is a copy write problem. We live in a very small town, about 8,000, they copied our personal 70 year old photos and enlarged them and did a great job. I guess the question though was the cheapest place. I would just google photo shops and I am sure you would find some inexpensive ones. Most though will not do copy write material.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

X2. Even if you bought these negatives you may not have rights to sell prints unless the copyright was transferred to you in writing.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy