cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BEST ROUTER EXTENDER TO USE

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the ASUS RT N66U Router here in my North Room of the house and although the house is covered well with this router the outside area along the East wall of the house a little centered more to the south as well as my Camper setup which is due East of the house around 60-70 feet or so does not get real good coverage especially for steaming video..

There are too many on-line to look at and they all say they will work hehe...

My ASUS 66U has three antennas on it and also wired ports which I am currently using three of the wired ports.

I guess the extenders are really repeaters and will use one antenna to pick up the router signal and then re-transmit it out the second antenna...

I have had some cheap ones in the past but they never last very long... I used them in the kitchen window looking out over the back yard to the east...

I have 120VAC power at the trailer location and of course on the back patio area.

The dollar ranges are from $50 to $100 I guess and would like to order them from AMAZON... Of course I want one with all of the pass word protect modes...

Would like to hear from anyone that has used the extenders...

I have an overhang up under the house roof and would even like to mount something there out of the weather. Can run an simple extension almost anywhere out-of-site... Don't know if mounting one in the attic might not be a bad idea???

Perhaps it might be better to run a CAT5 Cable to the extender/repeater and not depend on it picking up WIFI mode from the router???? Have run such cables for up to 100s of feet in my work days with good results for office setups...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
14 REPLIES 14

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ended up getting the NETGEAR N600 WIFI Range Extender from AMAZON...

This model sits in my house window looking out over the back yard, patio area, and where I park my RV's...

Went with the WIFI repeater mode first just to see how well it worked with streaming videos and all is good so will not have to use Ethernet cables for now... Already watched a couple of last weeks GOLD RUSH TV shows from DISCOVERY CHANNEL for past two weeks sitting out in my lawn chair by the fire... Also had my POLICE SCANNERs all going at the same time with no problems with drop outs...

Used the simple method for coping my Router Unit name with an added '_2EXT' to it and used the same password for my router...

All setup just fine and all is SECURED... I get a full set of bars all over my back yard now where before it was maybe 2-4 bars and did do some drop-outs for me...

Good $50 spent here -

Thanks to all for the inputs...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
An extender isn't wired to a port on the router; it picks up the router signal just like your computer does. It then rebroadcasts it in the area where it is located. Here is a manual for the one I purchased as a FYI. It will give you an idea of how easy they are to set up. Hope this helps.

It depends on the "extender" you buy. Most have several modes and most have the ability to plug in to your router with a standard Ethernet cable, which is a much more reliable arrangement if you can do it. Otherwise it becomes a "wireless repeater" grabbing the WiFi from the existing router and broadcasting it out from wherever it is.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take it all one needs to do to connect additional access points to the existing main router is something like this...

My Cable Modem will be feeding my N66U router WAN port. Then one of the four LAN ports will feed the new Wireless Router/Extender for my outside use using a CAT5 cable plugged into its LAN port.

IS this all there is to the wiring? I can handle this with just a 25-foot CAT-5 cable using my kitchen Room CAT5 wall panel

So all I need to look for is a Wireless Router/Extender that has a LAN port on it...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
ralphnjoann wrote:
Can't speak for all extenders, but this one is password protected. I used the same password I use for my router to keep things simple.

I have a feeling this is going to be above my paygrade haha...

My ASUS RT N66U has four LAN ports and I would like to extend one of these ports to a WIFI router extender that will communicate over WIERLESS to additional devices in its zone of operation...

I suspect there will be additional programing to get my first N66U router which is connected to my cable modem to recognize the second router/extender... Maybe all of that will will show up when I get started.

Most WIRELESS ROUTERS I find only have LAN CAT5 connections on them that perhaps may only be connected to devices not back to the main router if that makes any sense...

Will take some learning on my part I bet haha Would hate to spend money on wireless router that won't support being activated by a wired connection back to a different router...

Roy Ken
An extender isn't wired to a port on the router; it picks up the router signal just like your computer does. It then rebroadcasts it in the area where it is located. Here is a manual for the one I purchased as a FYI. It will give you an idea of how easy they are to set up. Hope this helps.

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
i will be setting up two UBIQUITI UAP-AC-LR in next week or so to extend wifi over a 300 foot radius (i hope). one works well in our office for good range. Requires above average setup knowledge however.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Netgear, it fixed all my problems.
NETGEAR

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cheap Netgear N300 extender and it works fine. My Google router is in the basement on the far East side of my house due to logistical issues. The only CAT5 I have runs up the middle of the house to the kitchen on the 1st floor and the master bedroom on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor bedrooms on the West side of the house had spotty signal, and the RV parked out on the West side of the property had nothing. I have the N300 hardwired back down to a GigE switch next to the router. It's plugged in pretty much in the middle of the house on the 2nd floor. The attic would be better, but that would require running more cable. It fills in the gaps nicely - even out to the RV.

Outside I have an Engenius ENS202EXT access point that gets me coverage down to the bottom of my 500-foot long driveway for surveillance cameras. It's PoE and I have about 200 feet of direct-bury CAT6 running to it. It's also plugged into the GigE switch. That AP provides much better coverage to the RV than the extender inside the house, even though it's over 100 feet away. The extender is about 50 feet away, but it's indoors with several walls to get through.

So I guess my advice is if you're looking for coverage outside for the RV, put an access point or extender outside. To fill in the gaps indoors, the cheap extenders work well if they're hardwired rather than set up as wireless repeaters.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I usually find TomsGuide to be a good source for info:
clicky
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Try just moving your existing router. place it as high as you can, up next to the ceiling if possible. Also moving it as close to the center of your expected radius might help. Raising mine up toward the ceiling on a existing shelf made lots of diffrerence.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
ralphnjoann wrote:
Can't speak for all extenders, but this one is password protected. I used the same password I use for my router to keep things simple.

I have a feeling this is going to be above my paygrade haha...

My ASUS RT N66U has four LAN ports and I would like to extend one of these ports to a WIFI router extender that will communicate over WIERLESS to additional devices in its zone of operation...

I suspect there will be additional programing to get my first N66U router which is connected to my cable modem to recognize the second router/extender... Maybe all of that will will show up when I get started.

Most WIRELESS ROUTERS I find only have LAN CAT5 connections on them that perhaps may only be connected to devices not back to the main router if that makes any sense...

Will take some learning on my part I bet haha Would hate to spend money on wireless router that won't support being activated by a wired connection back to a different router...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you gave cat5 in the entire house look to get a wireless access point to wire into your network it will work the best

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
pconroy328 wrote:
If you've run CAT5 before then you know wired beats wireless - every hour of every day.

I actually have CAT5 run to all of the rooms here with a patch panel back here in my so called Radio/Computer room. That would be a short run of a CAT5 extension in the kitchen to get from the wall to the East side windows where I could velcro a WIFI extender to the window glass...

I guess those WIFI extenders have pass-word protection even if you are direct feeding using CAT5 cable... I have neighbors around me on two sides here...

Might be a good solution for me...

Roy Ken

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
pconroy328 wrote:
If you've run CAT5 before then you know wired beats wireless - every hour of every day.

I actually have CAT5 run to all of the rooms here with a patch panel back here in my so called Radio/Computer room. That would be a short run of a CAT5 extension in the kitchen to get from the wall to the East side windows where I could velcro a WIFI extender to the window glass...

I guess those WIFI extenders have pass-word protection even if you are direct feeding using CAT5 cable... I have neighbors around me on two sides here...

Might be a good solution for me...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
If you've run CAT5 before then you know wired beats wireless - every hour of every day. ๐Ÿ™‚

That's what I've done. I've got an inexpensive TP Link wifi router that's been flashed with DD-WRT and it's wired back to the DSL modem. It's on one side of the house with the Netgear Wifi router on the other.

I get great coverage and I think it was a $15 investment. ๐Ÿ™‚