cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to prevent auto-start on videos?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
I did a google search on this subject but just got more confused.

When I go to most any webpage these days the videos auto-start and I would like to stop that.

Also the videos will automatically keep playing one after the other. I would like to prevent that as well.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Explorer
Explorer
Just set Firefox's plug in ShockWave Flash to "Ask To Activate" in the Plug Ins section. No flash starts without asking first. This works much better than Flashblock. I have this set on all of our computers and no more autoplay videos.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Problem is that advertisers are aware of blocking Flash media, so embedding HTML5 video to autoplay. Worse, they can easily make it difficult for the user to stop it. Simply by manipulating the z-index of the media.

I posted this video example a couple of years ago. Both are the same video, but the bottom has full user controls. The top autoplays, but also attempts to block control from the user.

Flashblock for Firefox also has an option to block HTML5 videos.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
In Firefox, open the menu list, click Add ons, then in the right hand column select plug ins. Set Flash to 'always ask'.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
NoScript is your best bet, along with Flash Block. As said NoScript will require a great deal of "right click/allow . . .", but once you've configured it to allow your accustomed/trusted sites, your problems will go away.

FWIW, NoScript is also a VERY effective defense against driveby malware. Since nothing is going to run unless you allow it, unknown malware scripts that can launch from unfamiliar sites will simply sit idle.

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Try this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/988836
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wrace wrote:
Sorry about that.

Win7. FF 29.0.1

You could try setting FF to block flashplayer from running in the plugins.

NoScript should block any videos launched via JavaScripts but it will also disable some websites so you will have to learn what works and what doesn't for each website..

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about that.

Win7. FF 29.0.1

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably would help to know which browser you're using. They all locate their options in different places.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you find the consumeraffairs site?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman