cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trav'ler Manual Mode 72 Sat

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Did Winegard fix the problem with not being able to lock on the 72 Sat in manual mode? One of their techs tells me it works.
20 REPLIES 20

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the center LNB (normally used to locate 119).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I tried it again today. Mine will not lock on 72.

I ordered the parts for change over to Sk-1000. I will work on it more after I change it.

Bill- Which LNB does Winegard use to lock on the sat in manual mode? I assume the center one (119) of the SK-1000 since it does not skew the dish in manual.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
az99 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No, the software in your 3005 will likely never find 72. I don't believe that a consumer update is available either.
So if the SK-1000 is capable of manually getting 72, it is odd that in their specs it only shows 61.5 as an option in manual.

What is the problem with getting the 72 sat? It is available on their portables.

It "used to be" that the 1000 would not lock to 72. Others have posted that it will so I have to go with those using the current hardware and "assume" the newer 1000's will lock. It may also be that Dish changed something in their broadcast signal which now allows the antenna to lock but prevented it in the past.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
az99 wrote:
Bill- Will it hurt anything to change my control box to the SK1000 but leave the 3005 reflector on to try it?

No, it won't hurt. It likely won't help either but let us know.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
As an aside, if Winegard would support EA on the SK1000 there would be no need for this discussion. Personally, I'm tired of dragging a portable around in case I need EA for whatever reason.

Winegard really has their heads in the sand on this one. They say that there is no need or demand for it.
Yet Dish is only doing installs of EA as far south as Fla.(for at least 2 years) because of the issues with WA blockage. Many areas in the Northeast don't even have HD locals available on WA anymore.

Unless you always camp at Walmart, EA is a necessity in the NE.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
As an aside, if Winegard would support EA on the SK1000 there would be no need for this discussion. Personally, I'm tired of dragging a portable around in case I need EA for whatever reason.
Larry

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Bill- Will it hurt anything to change my control box to the SK1000 but leave the 3005 reflector on to try it?

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
No, the software in your 3005 will likely never find 72. I don't believe that a consumer update is available either.
So if the SK-1000 is capable of manually getting 72, it is odd that in their specs it only shows 61.5 as an option in manual.

What is the problem with getting the 72 sat? It is available on their portables.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Why not just change the antenna parts over to Dish?
Because it would not work for me with the WA only that they have. I need EA so I use a portable.

So you are saying that if my SK-3005 is switched over to a Sk-1000 I will be able to get 72 in the manual mode?

I found this while looking for the model # on the Winegard web site under specs for the SK-1000 - Satellites Acquired: 110ยฐ, 119ยฐ, 129ยฐ (61.5ยฐ Manual Only)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
az99 wrote:
I have the Trav'ler for DirecTv. I switched to Dish and was trying to get the 72 sat manually. Where we are the standard setup of WA at 110,119,129 is worthless. The EA sats at 61.5 and 72.7 are what is needed to clear the trees.
61.5 works manually but 72 just keeps searching. 72 is really the only sat we need as locals are on OTA.

Bill- has Winegard changed something? You were in on the discussion last year about this.

I have been using a portable for Dish EA as I don't want to convert my Travl'er to Dish since it only gets WA sats.

If you have a DirecTV Trav'ler and you are trying to lock to 72 using the manual option I doubt you will have any luck. Why not just change the antenna parts over to Dish?

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
I remember trying 72 a couple of years ago and had problems. Dish had changed the ID on the satellite and the Winegard software could not identify the sat as 72. It would never lock on. Hadn't tried it recently as I haven't needed it.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Trav'ler for DirecTv. I switched to Dish and was trying to get the 72 sat manually. Where we are the standard setup of WA at 110,119,129 is worthless. The EA sats at 61.5 and 72.7 are what is needed to clear the trees.
61.5 works manually but 72 just keeps searching. 72 is really the only sat we need as locals are on OTA.

Bill- has Winegard changed something? You were in on the discussion last year about this.

I have been using a portable for Dish EA as I don't want to convert my Travl'er to Dish since it only gets WA sats.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
ljr wrote:
az99 wrote:
ljr wrote:
Dish 72 works for me. Mine is just short of a year old and it has always worked.
You can enter the manual mode and select 72 sat and it automatically goes to the sat and locks on?

Yes.

Just to prove to myself I wasn't hallucinating I tried it again. It worked fine.

What happens when you try it?
Larry