cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware New Samsung TVs

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found out the hard way, that Samsung has taken away technology features in the have limited the digital formats that can be played on their TV's. Apparently started with 2018 models. My new Samsung is going back to the store and I found a local store that is clearing out 2017 models.

If you have digitized video files, they will not play DTS or XVID. This is just flat out stupid.
23 REPLIES 23

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP is gone..but please, carry on.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even if it has no camera teh fact it is reporting what you watch and sending your voice to the voice recognation computer via the internet eats bandwidth.

And that too is an issue.. I do have an older (NOT SMART) samsung but none of hte modern voice control stuff here except for a sometimes voice controlled cat.. However usually he's the one operating his human by voice control MEOW.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
You can make fun, but it's a huge business for companies that deal in metadata.

x2 it's a big business already, and going to be worse than anything we've seen before it gets better.

case in point, China's new "social score" system. It'll take a while to go global but it will, and it will be terrible.

Ooooooooooooooh....I'm skeered. Between the 3 Samsung TV's, the amount of online stuff I've done for @ 25 years, and the cameras on the security system connected to a place I've never seen nor even know where it is or who works there, I am shocked. I'm surprised my life savings were not taken, other bank accounts drained, and my identity stolen every other week. I'll have to go looking for the data transmitting discounted Sammies, I could use another. While I'm at it I may as well ditch the tinfoil hat and fashion one from some 1/4" diamond plate.

Used to work with a kook who bought into all this Orwellian metadata psychosis BS. Interestingly he was a Facebook and Youtube addict and used his real full name on those and on forums, along with posting his street address all over the net. I often wondered why he didn't post up some important numbers too like SS and CC or bank account #'s. I will keep making fun and ROTFLMA about the direction of this entire thread. Only here.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MrWizard
my NOT-smart Vizio, will only play 'image/picture' files via the USB port.. NO video files
i have my tablet, my laptop, my OTA PVR, my DVD/BR player, to use for HDMI playback
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer

OK, I'm totally lost? Are you referring to Samsung TVs that have built-in media player

most every smart tv and some non smart tv's have usb ports that will play back video from a usb stick or hard drive connected to it.
samsung media player function

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

x2 it's a big business already, and going to be worse than anything we've seen before it gets better.

case in point, China's new "social score" system. It'll take a while to go global but it will, and it will be terrible.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Ever wonder why smart tv's have gotten so cheap? It's not due in some drastic advance in manufacturing technique. It's the manufacturer selling your future data to places like Facebook, Google, AT&T, Disney, etc, and subsidizing the costs.

LOL.....Hard to believe they're not giving them away for free.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Ever wonder why smart tv's have gotten so cheap? It's not due in some drastic advance in manufacturing technique. It's the manufacturer selling your future data to places like Facebook, Google, AT&T, Disney, etc, and subsidizing the costs.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Another thing about Samsung is they make "Smart" TV's.. These have a camera and microphone in them and can work "2-way" that is not only can you watch Tom Cruze fly the unfriendly skies. But Some hacker can watch you walk around .. ah-natural.
Watching 99 percent of the population parade around naked would be a case of where the punishment far exceeded the crime.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:
OK, I'm totally lost? Are you referring to Samsung TVs that have built-in media player?
x2. I don't get that either.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Another thing about Samsung is they make "Smart" TV's.. These have a camera and microphone in them and can work "2-way" that is not only can you watch Tom Cruze fly the unfriendly skies. But Some hacker can watch you walk around .. ah-natural.
??? Deal in conspiracy theories much?

We have two Samsung Smart TVs, neither have cameras. One has a voice recognition option in case you want to be able to control the TV by voice so it could conceivably be hacked to listen to you but it can be turned off. And if you are really paranoid, you can disconnect the TV from the Internet. The Internet connection is needed for using streaming services.

Mainly, Smart TVs report back to the mother ship what you watch. Smart TV Snooping Features

No problem.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
??? Deal in conspiracy theories much?

We have two Samsung Smart TVs, neither have cameras. One has a voice recognition option in case you want to be able to control the TV by voice so it could conceivably be hacked to listen to you but it can be turned off. And if you are really paranoid, you can disconnect the TV from the Internet. The Internet connection is needed for using streaming services.

Mainly, Smart TVs report back to the mother ship what you watch. Smart TV Snooping Features
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times