cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

C B Radio Help

gbsb
Explorer
Explorer
I know hardly any body uses a cb any more but I put one in for a trip with several other rigs that are traveling together and we can all chat back and forth. I bought a new radio and antenna mounted it in my truck put the antenna on the mirror and drove over to the interstate to see how it would do. Nothing a little static but do not hear any one talking. I have a truck camper so the antenna is not above the camper but I should hear a trucker say something. Does the radio frame have to be grounded, does the antenna need to have a ground? They are both mounted to plastic. I thought the antenna grounded threw the coax and the radio grounded threw the power wire. I have not had a CB since the late 70s so do not have a clue anymore, can some one help. Thanks George
18 REPLIES 18

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The ant needs to be grounded, preferably to a large metal area. It should work if mounted to a metallic, tubular mirror bracket. For transmitting it's important to tune the ant but it should receive ok as-is.
I would double check that the base of the ant is connected to the vehicles body/ground. Any chance your mirror bracket is rubber mounted and isolated electrically?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a local truck stop and sit around for a bit. Actually, now there is very little conversation between truckers on the CB while out on the road. There is a bit more between then at truckstops. Most OTR truckers are on cell phones with wireless headsets.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

gbsb
Explorer
Explorer
The Radio is a Uniden PC78LTD, antenna is 3 foot stick with mount and coax 1000 watt. Mounted to the drivers mirror on a F450 Ford.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Models would be helpful. Typically there would have to be to a ground of some sort.