cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I log into my router remotely and view webcam?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I know I can log into my router remotely via IP address, username and password. I'm editing my post with more information. I have a Logitech USB webcam currently plugged into an old surplus laptop that is on my wireless network. I would like to link the webcam with my network, if possible, without having to leave the computer on 24/7. Can I do this? If so, what hardware and software would I use to view the webcam?
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
11 REPLIES 11

BluegrassRanger
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
the computer can be turned on and off remotely, its called WOL or wake on lan, you would then use RDP like mentioned above to portal into computer and bring up the app,

otherwise the foscams works great

Good point! If his network card supports it.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
the computer can be turned on and off remotely, its called WOL or wake on lan, you would then use RDP like mentioned above to portal into computer and bring up the app,

otherwise the foscams works great

BluegrassRanger
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Ok, I know I can log into my router remotely via IP address, username and password. I'm editing my post with more information. I have a Logitech USB webcam currently plugged into an old surplus laptop that is on my wireless network. I would like to link the webcam with my network, if possible, without having to leave the computer on 24/7. Can I do this? If so, what hardware and software would I use to view the webcam?

If it is a USB camera you will have to leave the computer on as there is no network access or power directly to the camera. You can however set it up for remote access in that configuration. The computer must be XP or newer and have Remote Desktop allowed in the System Properties Remote settings. You would then need to forward port 3389 on the router to the internal IP address of the computer. From the outside you would need to use the Remote Desktop Client to connect to the public IP address of your router. This would take you to the desktop of the inside computer where you could access the camera. Of course this only works as long as the IP address at the router doesn't change or you use a free service like DynDNS.org to redirect you in the event it does.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. The webcams with the IP address change notification sound like a much better idea.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
You can buy web enabled cameras all day long for +- $90, and they work great.

FOSCAM

Don't you need a static IP address (or use dyndns.org) and also set up port forwarding with FOSCAMS?
Static would be a wonderful thing,but not needed. If the camera takes a power hit, when it reboots it sends out a notification email of the current IP assigned to the router. From there you need to adjust the viewer app and the world is good again. It appears that TWC changes my IP everytime the modem boots, so it and the router both live on a UPS. And because you are dead in the water if you do get an IP change, you need to leave the camera OFF of the UPS so it will do this whenever necessary. I get an occasional "hey, heres the IP im coming from" email when the house takes a hit, but i ignore it unless i cant see the cams. Thats when you need to look for that email.

And Yes, you need to write a port forwarding rule for each camera, but its very easy to do.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thunder Mountain wrote:

As you are configured NO, when you turn off the old surplus laptop power to the camera will be lost and there is no path to the network save via the laptop.

You will need some kind of Camera "Server" (A device that eats power, has a USB port and a Wi-Fi antenna) And though I have seen those for printers, I have never seen one for a camera do not know if a printer unit would work (Think not).

So as you are configured, NO it can not be done.

Easiest solution.. New camera one that already has Wi-Fi built in.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dsurette
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Foscam and it is set up so that it notifies me via email if my ISP changes my IP address. This usually happens if the modem is turned off due to a power failure.

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Its possible if that cam is one of the many which allow you to set it up to log directly into your local wireless network, with its own IP address. Then with port forwarding setup in your router, to make that IP address accessible via the internet using your router IP and the port number together.
I have a couple of IP cameras at both my winter & summer homes, that I monitor online when I leave them vacant for several months. The only devices left on are the router and the cameras. Of course you need an active internet connection at that end.
Some cameras do come with their own proprietary software but you don't really need it for a basic wireless IP cam setup.

Thunder Mountain wrote:
Jim

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:

FOSCAM

Don't you need a static IP address (or use dyndns.org) and also set up port forwarding with FOSCAMS?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
You can use port forwarding in your router to get to the WEB cam.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I use a couple of web enabled cameras. No need for a computer to run them.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer

FOSCAM

Also look at:
SMARTHOME

Im sure there is free software to view them on a PC, but I use an app for iPhone what works just fine. I have Pan, Tilt, email motion, a poor people tracker, and it also emails when there is a power outage with the current IP address incase it changed with the failure
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350