Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadians buy a satilelite dish for dish net

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
As Canadians we need a USA address in order to have pay as you go
dish signal. If we buy a dish at camping world , I was wondering why camping world couldn't set up an account for us snowbirds and let us
use pay as you go. after all if you don't pay you get no signal.
Just a question????
Don
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335
9 REPLIES 9

Cube58
Explorer
Explorer
I have Dish. Got My Sat. installed by Camping World & used my U.S. post office address For billing. Also needed to supply them with a street address So I used the 'package' addreess of a company that i get larger items sent to. This info & my American Express card is all i needed. It works Great.

ontken
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips, I guess I need to set up a ghost address.
2008 Jayco Melbourne

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don's Lock wrote:
As Canadians we need a USA address in order to have pay as you go
dish signal. If we buy a dish at camping world , I was wondering why camping world couldn't set up an account for us snowbirds and let us
use pay as you go. after all if you don't pay you get no signal.
Just a question????
Don

I have a pay as you go setup for Dish at the house. They always send me a paper bill even though I'm set up to do autopay via credit card, so they seem to need a valid mailing address. I bought the equipment new from a dealer in Detroit and installed it myself, but when I initially went to activate the system online Dish complained saying I had an invalid receiver ID. I called the dealer who sold it to me and they set up the monthly pay as you go account for me and told me I could then make changes online directly with Dish. It;s worked fine since then and I suspect if one was to follow the same process you could probably get by with nothing more than a mailing address and even a PO box would likely work.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
You may need a 'Private Mail Box' (PMB) from a parcel store (like a UPS Store) instead of a Post Office (PO) Box at a US Post Office. PMBs have a physical street address. A PO Box does not.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ontken
Explorer
Explorer
If we have a US postal box, is this good enough?
2008 Jayco Melbourne

Retired_Alex
Explorer
Explorer
Got a friend in the US? Use their address.
Alex & Mary Burnett
JD the Camping Boxer
2011 Onxy 25RB
2006 Ford F150 XLT
My Pictures

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Because the FCC wont allow Dish and DirecTv provide coverage outside the US. One way they do that is to require a US addr.

Probably the same for the Canadian satellite companies--they don't offer it to US folks.

Maybe you should find out why you can't get a cheap automatic sat system in Canada?

Camping World has nothing to do with this. They just sell what they can.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
Yes That's what I'll be doing, I have had their service.
The only thing is that you can get an automatic sat system cheap for USA dish system.
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
I would really recommend Shaw Direct. We get an excellent HD signal, their footprint covers all of the US and Mexico. Their customer service has been outstanding. We suspend the service when we get home and start it back up when we hit the road.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired