cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

carryout, dish 211K problem not fixed

Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dish 211k and a carryout Sat dish. I directly run the Dish 211k with a coax from the Carryout and get great signal. When I directly attach the output of the receiver coax to the switchbox in the motorhome to the sat or aux input the picture quality on the TV's (analog) is snowy. When the coax output is connected directly from the receiver to the tv the picture is less snowy but it is still noisy. When I add a 100ft of coax and go from my Dish 311 receiver in the garage to the same TV the picture is perfect and near perfect when I go through the switch box. So I figured the Dish 211K receiver was bad so I got another one and I have the same problem. I would get a Dish 311 receiver but I don't think its compatible with the Carryout. Another thing is that the 211K gets really , really hot! Is that normal? One other thing I have done is check all the cables and they are all good!
15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The disadvantages to the "Z" are the lack or a coax output (as you discovered) as well as the lack of an OTA TV tuner. The RV modulator they installed for you takes care of the lack of coax output and an optional, extra cost, USB TV tuner is available for the "Z" as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Explorer
Explorer
I had Dish come out on Friday and heres what happened. There were 2 technicians that came out , one was a regular installer and the other was a chief technician. They proceeded to tell me that the problem was the cable type (rg59) and that the frequency of the output of the 211k through though the coax output wasn't compatible and that all the cable ends installed by the manufacture were unreliable. I called BS on that diagnosis and proceeded to show them that my 311 receiver produced perfect pictures on both crt TV's. they then told me the 211k because it was hi def was different and then I took them in my house where I have a Dish 711 hidef receiver and it worked fine with my crt TV's hooked up to the coax output. I then asked them to pull a new 211k out of their truck and give it a try. They said they didn't have a 2l1k but they had a 211Z and that it did have coax output but they did have a adapter they could use to go from RCA to coax. They hooked it up and lo and behold a perfect picture on both TV's. As another benefit the 211Z is smaller and doesn't put out nearly the heat that my 211k receiver puts out. I would suggest anyone with a 211k upgrade to the 211Z with the RCA adapter.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
gokart2 wrote:
I experience the same snowy picture with the VIP211K model DISH Network receiver when connected with known good coax. When connected with HDMI picture is great. Called DISH several times and talked to several "Techs" who all said the coax was down grading the picture quality and if I wanted a clear picture with that receiverI needed to connect the TV and receiver with a HDMI cable. Pretty difficult to do with the rear TV!!

Not if you use something like this:

Wireless HDMI

gokart2
Explorer
Explorer
I experience the same snowy picture with the VIP211K model DISH Network receiver when connected with known good coax. When connected with HDMI picture is great. Called DISH several times and talked to several "Techs" who all said the coax was down grading the picture quality and if I wanted a clear picture with that receiverI needed to connect the TV and receiver with a HDMI cable. Pretty difficult to do with the rear TV!!

Explorer
Explorer
I have checked the channels. Maybe I just have 2 bad 211K . I will try a 3rd

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb question, but are you sure you have them set to the same channel (3 or 4)?
-- Chris Bryant

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
if pic is snowey sounds like output channel is wrong or tv on wrong channel,i had similar problem and the output channel had changed,on hdmi input is direct overiding channel selection.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is something wrong with both 211K's. I know that sounds hard to believe but I think you have just proved it.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. I took the 311 receiver out of the garage and hooked it up to my Carryout . I connected it directly to main 25" RCA crt tv and the picture was perfect. I then decided to hook it through the switcher and again the picture was perfect on both the frt and rear tvs. I then unhooked the cable from the Dish to the back of the receiver and plugged it into the cable in port of the mh and then connected a coax between the cable in port of the switchbox and the Dish 311 receiver and all the pictures on the tvs were perfect. I have done the same trial with 2 different 211k receivers and both produced snowy (noisy) pictures even when bypassing the cable in port and the switchbox. So why don't I just use a 311 receiver? one reason is you cant add a hard drive and record, another reason is I would like to be able to used my hi def tv outside when camping and most importantly is I have spent a lot of time on this and I want to know why the 211k wont work,

houtrz
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a dual receiver box? I had issues setting mine up and finally fooled it into thinking it was a single receiver.

I assume you have the check switch set to SW64

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
HDMI is digital and the coax output is analog. If there is a problem it is located there. The only way I know to test one is take everything out of the circuit, connect a coax to the TV and the 211 (You must use an HDMI cable if you want HD as that's the only way to get it) and check for a good picture. It should not be fuzzy but it certainly won't be as clear as an HD / HDMI connection.

Explorer
Explorer
Bill,
I was convinced it is the 211K so I called Dish and they sent another one and I still have the same problem. I hooked up a HD tv with a hdmi cable and it was perfect. I have even used different power sources thinking the inverter output was creating the problem and it wasn't. I called Dish and spoke to their "rv specialst " and they claim the 211K has the same analog output as the 211K. Im at my wits end!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
So do the testing without the Carryout as this should not have anything to do with your issue.
Connect the receiver to that TV (any TV) with a short piece of coax. You should see a very clear picture from the receiver (either pull up the menu or just watch the dancing Dish logo). If you don't have a clear picture try another TV. Now try the 311 on that TV with that coax. If everything is good with the 311 but bad with the 211 on each TV then the issue is the 211. Be sure that you are not going through any kind of a switch but running directly from the receiver to the TV. Also ensure the TV is set correctly to either channel 3 or 4 as that might be set differently on the 211 and 311.

Explorer
Explorer
The picture when hooked directly to the tv is not good at all but it is better than when run through the switchbox.