cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connecting Winegard distribution center to SWM?

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can I hook up my portable Slimline 3 SWM dish to the distribution center buy using just the power inserter connected direct from the dish to the distribution center (Sat. in) without using the DirectV splitter and will it work both TV's? Will the distribution center still be operational for all the other functions.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
17 REPLIES 17

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Basically what I want to do is.
antenna ->power inserter -> distribution center -> receivers 1&2 -> TV's

I have it now as antenna -> power inserter-> splitter-> receivers 1&2->TV's
Eliminating the distribution center making in un-useful. Then I have to start switching cables for off air or cable.

No, you cannot use any kind of splitter (like the dist. center) for the satellite TV input. You can take the OUTPUT from a receiver to the dist. center but all satellite coax lines either need to run directly to a receiver or to a SWM specific splitter and then to the receiver(s).

Emailed Winegard and the said basicly the same thing without as much detail.
antenna->power inserter->receiver->distribution center->TV's.
But with HDMI connections on the receivers I am kinda screwed for the second TV anyway. Looks like I am going to have to loose the distribution center and put in some A-B boxes or change cables around for my usage. Problem is the dist. center has the amplifier for the off air antenna.

I have an hdmi 1-in-2-out. It's a small powered box that lets me take the hdmi output from the receiver, split it, and then I run separate hdmi cables to each tv. It eliminates all the overhead of trying to put something else on the coax.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
That will work.....they do make some really long HDMI cables if you want to try and make a run from the receiver to the BR tv. I ended up ditching the BR TV anyway.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
lynndiwagon wrote:
Sat. won't be in HD on TV's if you use the winegard box. I got rid of the switcher and went to one "A-B" switch for OTA or Cable and use TV inputs instead of switcher. Also got the "Jack" antenna and it comes with a power supply. Good luck.

By passing the box for satellite. Going through it for cable and off air. Will work with a couple of A/B's

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Sat. won't be in HD on TV's if you use the winegard box. I got rid of the switcher and went to one "A-B" switch for OTA or Cable and use TV inputs instead of switcher. Also got the "Jack" antenna and it comes with a power supply. Good luck.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK thanks a bunch guys!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You cannot use a diplexer with if you are trying to run anything related to SWM through that cable.
I have done the double A/B switch setup and it should work OK.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Want to have HD at both TV's and only have only one cable going to back bedroom and will have to disconnect it from the dis. center and use for that receiver. Every thing will work for the Dis. center for the livingroom TV because its an easy run for the second cable, one for TV and one for receiver. Could use an A-B switch for at the dis. centers #2 TV connection. And a second A-B box at the bedroom TV to split a cable for the receiver or TV. Sounds complicated but on paper it looks feasible.

On edit: Would diplexers work in place of the A-B switches??

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

But with HDMI connections on the receivers I am kinda screwed for the second TV anyway. Looks like I am going to have to loose the distribution center and put in some A-B boxes or change cables around for my usage. Problem is the dist. center has the amplifier for the off air antenna.

You still want to keep the distribution center for your other connections (especially cable). Generally if you want HD at each TV you need a receiver at each TV. However, if you can get by with HD on the one TV you can still send the SD output from that receiver to the distribution center and watch whatever is coming from that one receiver in SD at all other TV's. You will need an RF modulator to convert the RCA composite (R/W/Y) to coax output but otherwise it's a pretty simple option.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which is why I popped for the Sensar. Now that OTA is HD, I will use the OTA a lot more, not having to set up the tripod as often. It really helps peak the signal and having two outputs streamlined the install.

clicky link
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:

Eliminating the distribution center making in un-useful. Then I have to start switching cables for off air or cable.

No, you cannot use any kind of splitter (like the dist. center) for the satellite TV input. You can take the OUTPUT from a receiver to the dist. center but all satellite coax lines either need to run directly to a receiver or to a SWM specific splitter and then to the receiver(s).

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
ChopperBill wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm pretty sure the distribution center has to be on the TV side of the receivers. Or, put it another way, the distribution center can't be between the dish and the receiver(s).

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am still in the dark ages. Have no idea what Ya'll talkin about. LOL
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am converting my DP to flat screens and SWM. I decided to,lose the switchbox I added a Winegard Sensar pro OTA amp/signal aiming meter which has two outputs.
I ran one to the front tv. I used a Directv 4way splitter used output for the front. There is a device called a diplexer that allows you to combine OTA and sat signal to the back tv.
The box didn't add much value to the equation and. I really like the Sensar pro for peaking the OTA.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.