cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Phone Email app?

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Samsung S7. My home windows computers are all using Thunderbird / IMAP email programs.. PROBLEM.. I can't find an email app for my phone that will reflect what the IMAP email system is on my home computers has other than unread emails and sent emails.. in other words, once I read an email at home and put it in a separate/subject folder under the inbox, I can't see it on my inbox or anyplace else on my phone.. Maybe this is normal but if not..looking for another email app???
25 REPLIES 25

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bluemail will handle imap ,pop3 or Gmail all in one app.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Well all the E-mail clients i have used, INCLUDING Thunderbird, let me dowload nad erase from server (or not now that someone reminded me) the folders I stored in with T-Bird were all local.

But once I got into more serious use of the internet. I stopped using client mail. I hear folks say "Crappy web mail" but I've not seen that. The only advantage I've seen to client mail is I can "hit" the server, then go offline.

Back in Dial up days, that was good. but with modern always there internet, I use web.

And I go all the way back to a program called NET TAMER.. HINT, not a windows program. Older than that.

The 'old' protocol, POP3 operates like you suggest: Download and delete. IMAP synchronizes the clients. It has no downside.

As for "crappy" web interfaces. It's a personal thing but I generally despise them. Smart phones allow more actions like sliding, long press, double tap and other direct interactions with apps that are more efficient, especially on a small screen. Using the web makes everything a touch-only interface, usually with latency between actions...not my cup of tea.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well all the E-mail clients i have used, INCLUDING Thunderbird, let me dowload nad erase from server (or not now that someone reminded me) the folders I stored in with T-Bird were all local.

But once I got into more serious use of the internet. I stopped using client mail. I hear folks say "Crappy web mail" but I've not seen that. The only advantage I've seen to client mail is I can "hit" the server, then go offline.

Back in Dial up days, that was good. but with modern always there internet, I use web.

And I go all the way back to a program called NET TAMER.. HINT, not a windows program. Older than that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the K9 email client. It works perfectly on my Android phone in conjunction with T-Bird on my PC, both using IMAP. K9 is free and has no advertising.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gmail.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
THe problem is in your thinking.. When you download the E_mail to your home computer and remove it from the "HOST" ushing protocol the file now exists on yoru comptuer.. NOT the host

Your phone can not access it

SOLUTION
Dump the Client based E-mail (T-Bird) and go with Web-Mail. Yahoo, G-Mail. Microsoft's current mail system and most other E-mail hosts today offer a Web mail.

With Web mail I can access from this Chromebook, the one beside it, the Windows machine below it, the one in the ham shack, the one in the bedroom My Phone or tablet. All see exactly the same thing.

If I move it off to a folder.. all see that folder

All see exactly the same thing

NOTE: the downside: Limited storage on the free Web clients. pay for more is an option.

You misunderstand how IMAP works. IMAP is a client-server system that stores the content on the server. All of the client folders stay in sync. No reason to be forced into crappy web clients.

I have an S7 and it shows all of the folders from my work computer using IMAP. Read, move or delete anything on my work laptop and it shows the same on the phone. There is a drop down at the bottom of the folder list on the stock email app that says โ€œAll Folders.โ€ You also have to pick a specific account first (instead of โ€œAll Accountsโ€ if you have more than one account setup in your phone.

Also, are sure you are not moving the messages to a local folder on your PC? You can create folders that are not part of IMAP or on the host. As long as all of your home computers can still see a message it should be ok.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use t-bird, however look through the email settings on your computer and see if you can locate "store on server" or similar as many emails have this option.
Oftentimes computers have more options than phones...
Inquiring minds want to know...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe problem is in your thinking.. When you download the E_mail to your home computer and remove it from the "HOST" ushing protocol the file now exists on yoru comptuer.. NOT the host

Your phone can not access it

SOLUTION
Dump the Client based E-mail (T-Bird) and go with Web-Mail. Yahoo, G-Mail. Microsoft's current mail system and most other E-mail hosts today offer a Web mail.

With Web mail I can access from this Chromebook, the one beside it, the Windows machine below it, the one in the ham shack, the one in the bedroom My Phone or tablet. All see exactly the same thing.

If I move it off to a folder.. all see that folder

All see exactly the same thing

NOTE: the downside: Limited storage on the free Web clients. pay for more is an option.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
The app "K9 Mail" Just like Thunderbird on your PC. Free app.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
I use Tbird and the Blue Mail app. I just checked and things I saved on Tbird are on my phone. I do go through Gmail and download to Tbird.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what phone app you're using. Many times they don't autodiscover all the folders available on the imap. They just setup common ones like inbox, sent, deleted.

There should be an option in the app to download additional folders from the server, or another way to describe it is which folders to sync with the server.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed