Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

astalavistababy
Explorer
Explorer
We use T-mobile. The phone serves as dial up connection connected to the laptop via USB cable. I am in cyberspace heaven. Our calling plan costs me $ 29.95 nationwide coverage + $ 19.95 for the Internet plan with unlimited access. We pay bills, research destinations, make reservations and everything else. Track down gas prices and more. Most important I keep up w. the stock market, that's kind'a depressing right now:S Otherwise we love it, saves us time to track down the next library and wasting gas.

WagonMaster_Sun
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Cingular wireless card, signal is strong close to cities...boondocks is like dial-up in the 80's. unlimited time/data by kb. Even worked in parts of Alaska! hope this helps.
Walt & Lori ๐Ÿ˜‰
99 Holiday Rambler, 40' Imperial
07 Chevy, Colorado

RustyH
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the Grand Canyon in September and had excellent Verizon Wireless cell phone service at the park. Used it for internet access as well as phone calls.
Rusty and Pam Hemenway

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
CowgirlCreations wrote:
Since the Verizon back door has been shut, would it be beneficial to take one's phone off of 1x?

I am NOT SURE that the back door is shut. I used it a few weeks ago (only for a few minuents) to check. It still worked and I was NOT billed for the usage since it was on a weekend. I will try again later this week.

I do have a 4 year old phone.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mr Wizard!
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

MrWizard
you need to install the the DRIVER"S for the 8300 from the CD of the MOK

you can create the connection manually in windows

you do not need to install the verizon dial up software, you can, but the dialup software is NOT an absolute necessity, but the drivers must be installed

you quick link connection wil have the wrong ID and password
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Wizard: If you're monitoring---------I am about to try your instructions to get my 8300 into 1X mode to use on Verizon. A novice's question: Can I just use the Quicklink Mobile which is installed and which I have used with my Audivox or do I need to install the MOK software I bought for the LG 8300?
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
I have the America's Choice 1 Plan and use the back door only minutes used charge. It comes up as data useage and says promo plan,National Access.

Joe
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

MrWizard
CowgirlCreations wrote:
Since the Verizon back door has been shut, would it be beneficial to take one's phone off of 1x?

1x is used for all voice and also txt msg, if you send pic msg, then it will speed up if EvDo in On

however IF you have NOT changed your account, you can still use 1x, verizon is tracking data ( look for it my account ) but thay have NOT started charging older accounts for MB older accounst are still getting by with the 1x and minutes of use..

I would be careful with it and watch it, but it still works on old accounts

ALL new accounts must add a data feature or pay by the MB

you can also add the $15 vcast pkg for mobile web to your account and use it too hide the tethered PC useage on your old account. just keep the phone in 1x mode, you can even use it during the day, NO minutes are used this way, if you have a vcast phone 8100 8300 E815 etc..

you can't add Vcast data to an OLD non-vcast phone like an lg3200 or 4500
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Cingular has a USB Cellular air card that will work with your desktop. That's what I am using right now. My band with seems to suck at my house but, I'm spending several weeks in south floriday this winter and I think I'll be in a pretty good coverage area there. I've got unlimited data coverage for I think it's $39.00 per month. It's n ot as fast as myh DSL, but I think if I had bettger service it would be ok.

WylieWanderings
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Heartland Road Warrior 305, 2007 Chevy 3500HD Duramax/Allison dually:C

"Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor."- Benjamin Franklin

MrWizard
mur

my billing cycle ends tonight, 8 days in oct, 23 days of nov, the bill will be mailed to me next week

the online look up of 'my account' at verizon show NO added charges at ths moment

i am waiting to see what the paper billing shows
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RicB
Explorer
Explorer
Tech1 wrote:
I am moving from AT&T to Verizon at the end of December. Because I will be traveling all 48 in MH, Verizon suggested I use a Tri Mode phone. Any suggestions on the one to get would be appreciated. In addition can they be tethered as well to connect to internet. I am moving from a Palm 650 to something simple......got a new iPod Touch and with the new updates it has become my calendar as well.

I use an old Motorola V710 with Verizon. It is tri mode and up until about two weeks ago I would tether it to my pc. I recently purchased a Sprint aircard (usb type) and a cradlepoint router to use while traveling. The V710 has been very reliable. My wife and I both have them. You can still get them on ebay.
2006 42' Allegro Bus
FMCA - F311884

Montana_Ultra_R
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard, a while back you advised that you signed up for Vcast. You said you were using your cell phone in 1x mode to connect but weren't sure how you would be billed. How did that turn out? Are you being billed PER MB?

Mr. Wizard wrote:

verizon will NOT help you if you try to use the Vcast plan with the PC, when talking to them about the Vcast plan do not mention the PC

once this feature is added to your account verify it by using it to get the news and weather on the phone.

then put the phone in 1x mode, and try the PC hook up.

i have already added this to my account, my 1x is still working but it is not yet Nov, the connection should work, it's the billing I am wondering about.

verizon is not saying the 1x will not work, they are saying we will be billed by the mega byte of data, testing the Vcast is my way to find out if it will slip under the radar for use with out PER MB billing.

Mr. Wizard wrote:

I will let you know when I get the NOV statement, how it is billed

the due this week will be on my OCT statement
MUR

MrWizard
most new phones are digital only, not tri-mode, I don't know which phone might be try mode and can tell ones that are NOT tri-mode NO analog

lg 4500, lg8100, lg8300, lg 8500, lg 8600, 8700, 8800, 9900, and 10000 are all digtal only

and AFAIK the moto razor kxr v3 v9 lines are all digital only

the old LG 3200 was tri-mode, the LG 3300 might be tri-mode

yes these phones can be tethered,
and verizon has new plans, where all data is tracked,
you will need to get the $60 data package if you want to tether,
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s