cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computer running very slow & freezing up ?

DKean
Explorer
Explorer
Dell lap top, windows 10, verizon fios, fiber optics.??
Operator is from analog generation. KISS for me.
We now have a 2018 Ford Explorer,2wheel drive.
20 REPLIES 20

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next month, Microsoft will have a new Creator's Update out. I have found that if I am having chronic Windows issues, installing (or reinstalling) the latest update gets rid of the problem, mainly because the update process is in effect an OS reinstall, except keeping one's applications, settings, and data.

If things are slow with updates, I'd look at downloading/running "WSUS Offline" at a fast Wi-Fi connection, which fetches all patches for you, and can be a lot quicker than the usual Microsoft Update.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
HPYHILM wrote:
Windows for me was a nightmare, slow bootup, always updating. Bought a Chromebook for 200 bucks 3 years ago and could not be happier, Instant login, no security problems, fast and reliable, and cheap. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
I bought a Chromebook for my wife and I agree that it is the best option if Chromebook's app set covers their needs.

However, Windows app set is much broader and some like me (not an Apple fan) need Windows (I'm not really a Microsoft fan either). I do think though that Windows 10 is the best Windows platform to date and it works just fine for me.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
Windows for me was a nightmare, slow bootup, always updating. Bought a Chromebook for 200 bucks 3 years ago and could not be happier, Instant login, no security problems, fast and reliable, and cheap. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Windows updates are most likely culprit as some have noted. Especially if you are not on it a lot, turning on a Windows system after being off for a few days will most likely cause updates and they create just the symptom you describe.

They can be turned off by setting the network connection to "metered" but as others have warned, this is not a good long term solution.

Next most likely is rogue software (browser extensions, malware, etc.) that are more difficult to explain to the uninitiated. Get help from a nerdy friend or pay for help.

In my experience, hardware is the least likely culprit although it can be a problem like a clogged or malfunction cooling fan.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I use ccleaner every day and I also have virus protection with charter.net and it scans every day for me. I have no trouble what so ever.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I am having the exact same issue. Is your fan running? I think I am over heating might need to clean out my vents to help cool it. Just started doing this the past 2 weeks give or take.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lexx wrote:
You might want to check if you have a virus. Download free Malwarebytes, reboot into safe mode, and run the scan.

I Will second this. Many types attempt to steal your computer time for their nefarious deeds .. They also spoof phone numbers by the way.

Use of GOOD anti-Malware (And that is a good one) as well as a GOOD firewall (Not many meet my mentor's needs) (Steve Gibson, I think it is GRC research or some such)

I've gotten free computers from people who did not take the advice to run a firewall "It slows it down too much".. Yup. Finally she gave up "If you can get it workign it's yours" took me less than 15 minutes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
DKean wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Can we turn off automatic up dates?
With Windows 10 I don't believe you can completely turn off updates, delay them for a while, but sooner or later...
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
DKean wrote:
Dell lap top, windows 10, verizon fios, fiber optics.??
Operator is from analog generation. KISS for me.
Take it to a good computer guy. The number of things that can cause issues like yours is very high, from viruses, malware, overheating CPU, bad drivers, to bad capacitors or a bad motherboard.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
It should be noted that simply turning off updates is a really bad idea. Short term, while you are on a slow connection, fine, but many of those updates are essential to security and to not clogging your bandwidth and processor speed with malware.

Sadly, you MUST have up-to-date antivirus software and all the latest patches. Unless, of course, you don't mind having ALL of your personal data exposed to every nogoodnik on the internet AND being part of everyone's botnet engaged in all sorts of nefarious schemes.

It's largely due to folks who do not keep up with updates that huge denial of service attacks occur, that spam emails are so prevalent, and that hackers have the wherewithal to break into governmental, military, banking, and other services.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
With Windows you can use Disk Cleanup and Defragment and Optimize Drives! This also helps

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the Windows update and slow internet connection thing. Happens to me often. Since I use a mifi device and cellular, if it really gets bogged down I take the laptop and go for a drive, closer to a cell tower which seems to speed things up.

If all the other suggestions fail, you can go into Settings, Update/Security, find the Recovery option, and "reset this computer" but use the setting that saves all your files. That worked nicely for me a couple times.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lexx wrote:
You might want to check if you have a virus. Download free Malwarebytes, reboot into safe mode, and run the scan.

That and load CCleaner on your desktop. It's freeware on CNet and File Hippo. Run it daily, gets rid of all the junk you don't need.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB