cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computer Trying To Send An e-mail.

BMCM
Explorer
Explorer
First incident was yesterday. Have had three today. I am getting notifications that "Mail Delivery Failed". All returns have the same info except for the time stamps, so something is trying to send the one e-mail

I've not sent any e-mails yesterday or today, so no reason I should be getting a failure notice.

This is on a Mac OS running Safari, and the e-mail program that came with the computer/OS.

There is nothing I don't recognize in my in box, out box, sent, drafts, junk, etc.

If I read the failed message correctly, the address it was trying to get to is 980643786@qq.com.
I googled that and learned nothing..

I haven't been to any strange web sites, don't respond to spam of fishing attempts.

My concern is that something is trying yo mine info from my system.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert
F-350, Scorpion, QC, Dually/Alpenleak

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.
12 REPLIES 12

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Happytraveler wrote:
Apple Support

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

Hold on now.
That's not how it works around here.
We solve everything in this forum.
Bad kidneys, sick dog etc....
This is the place.

LOL, most of you are PC people.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
Apple Support

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

Hold on now.
That's not how it works around here.
We solve everything in this forum.
Bad kidneys, sick dog etc....
This is the place.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Apple Support
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
BMCM wrote:
Thanks all, for the input..

Had one more 'failed' message this morning..

djgarcic - I had no luck getting to 'empty caches' tab. Still working on that.

R

Like stated above this is a fairly common practice for spammers. You did not send them. You are just getting the bounces because they used your domain in the header. The dead giveaway is typically it says it was from an address you do not have @ your domain. There is not alot you can do about it.

BMCM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, for the input..

Had one more 'failed' message this morning..

djgarcic - I had no luck getting to 'empty caches' tab. Still working on that.

R
F-350, Scorpion, QC, Dually/Alpenleak

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two 1/2 possible answers
1.0: You have been hacked Someone is using your E-mail account to SPAM and as the SPAMS go to closed accounts you get failure notices.
1.2: You have been hacked and someone is using YOUR computer to send the spam..

I do not know what firewalls and Anti-Virals are out there for Macs,, I just know that the Apple Commercial of a few years ago where the PC caught cold is misleading. PC's catch cold, often,, APPLESA do not catch cold as often but Pneumonia can be a problem (Very nasty cold, very very very very nasty)

2: Scammers are hoping you will respond in some way to their fake "Reject" message.

IN my younger days when I had a job and more time I'd fight this stuff actively, Got more than one spammer to change his E-mail provider and ISP. One took the time to E-mail me and brag about how he could change ISP's any time. I told him that I wished him MANY expensive ISP changes. Never heard from him again.

Alas, I don't do that any more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Btw, there are number of scam alerts about the owners of the qq.com domain.

qq.com is based in China. So a little suspicious?

As a precaution, I'd change your email password immediately.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
It is really easy to use a faked from/return address. Most likely someone else is doing so and you are getting their blowback. It is unlikely you have malware sending this from your computer. That being so there is not much you can do about it.

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
That is probably someone else sending spam using your return address.

Afraid there's nothing you can do about it, but your computer isn't infected.

+1
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That is probably someone else sending spam using your return address- if you look at the email, you will see something like this (from a fake bounce I just got)

------ This is a copy of the headers of the original message. ------

Return-Path: bryantrv@cfl.rr.com
Received: from [14.166.210.104] ([14.166.210.104:63618] helo=cdptpa-pub-iedge-vip.email.rr.com)
by cdptpa-omsmta03 (envelope-from )
(ecelerity 3.6.9.48312 r(Core:3.6.9.0)) with ESMTP
id 15/36-14260-008E3F75; Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:33:55 +0000

The return path is one of my addresses, but the ip address has nothing to do with me.

Afraid there's nothing you can do about it, but your computer isn't infected.
-- Chris Bryant

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
BMCM wrote:
First incident was yesterday. Have had three today. I am getting notifications that "Mail Delivery Failed". All returns have the same info except for the time stamps, so something is trying to send the one e-mail

I've not sent any e-mails yesterday or today, so no reason I should be getting a failure notice.

This is on a Mac OS running Safari, and the e-mail program that came with the computer/OS.

There is nothing I don't recognize in my in box, out box, sent, drafts, junk, etc.

If I read the failed message correctly, the address it was trying to get to is 980643786@qq.com.
I googled that and learned nothing..

I haven't been to any strange web sites, don't respond to spam of fishing attempts.

My concern is that something is trying yo mine info from my system.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert

Empty your caches. On Safari, go to "Develop" on the top of your web page, scroll down to the"empty caches" and delete.